Bandsaw Blade help

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jxdubbs

Hey guys and gals,

I own a 14" GRIZZLY G055LX it's a 93.5" inch I believe. I do alot of pen blanks usually 3/8", 5/8" to 1"' 1.5". Some bowls not so much yet. The pen and i guess yu call the bigger size "call banks" mostly made out of different type of acrylics, Plastics, resins, and a lots of hard dense exotic Woods. ( mostly acrylic) What blade or blades I'll need for those types of materials? It would be a huge help to me.*

THANKS!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

its_virgil

I am a fan of TimberWolf blades. I get them from Suffolk machinery: www.suffolkmachineryt.com

If you are not sure what blade to get or the length then just call. The person who answers the phone can help. Just tell them what saw you have, what you want to cut and they will suggest a blade. I only buy from them,.
Do a good turn daily!
Don

Hey guys and gals,

I own a 14" GRIZZLY G055LX it's a 93.5" inch I believe. I do alot of pen blanks usually 3/8", 5/8" to 1"' 1.5". Some bowls not so much yet. The pen and i guess yu call the bigger size "call banks" mostly made out of different type of acrylics, Plastics, resins, and a lots of hard dense exotic Woods. ( mostly acrylic) What blade or blades I'll need for those types of materials? It would be a huge help to me.*

THANKS!

jxdubbs

I am a fan of TimberWolf blades. I get them from Suffolk machinery: www.suffolkmachineryt.com

If you are not sure what blade to get or the length then just call. The person who answers the phone can help. Just tell them what saw you have, what you want to cut and they will suggest a blade. I only buy from them,.
Do a good turn daily!
Don

Hey guys and gals,

THANKS!

I heard there really good and Olson but I've heard more about how great the timber wolf's are. I took a look at there site. I think I'm more confused than I was when I started lol. This is all so new to me.

MRDucks2

I have tried two Timber Wolf 3/4" x 2/3 VPC .025 blades and love the way they cut but broke both of them at the weld. The first one I over tensioned (read the setup on the blade box, it is a lower tension blade). One the second one I over tensioned it (set-up issue with saw). So both were my fault, but surprised by the weld breaks.

Trying a Highland Hardware 3/4" Woodslicer this time. It has a 3/4 variable pitch .022 with less set.

I have been slicing up dried logs and salvaged lumber so these may be bigger/more aggressive than what you need.

Sent from my iPhone using Penturners.org mobile app

jxdubbs

I have tried two Timber Wolf 3/4" x 2/3 VPC .025 blades and love the way they cut but broke both of them at the weld. The first one I over tensioned (read the setup on the blade box, it is a lower tension blade). One the second one I over tensioned it (set-up issue with saw). So both were my fault, but surprised by the weld breaks.

Trying a Highland Hardware 3/4" Woodslicer this time. It has a 3/4 variable pitch .022 with less set.

I have been slicing up dried logs and salvaged lumber so these may be bigger/more aggressive than what you need.

Sent from my iPhone using Penturners.org mobile app
Yeah I know I need higher TPI. I've also heard about the weld snapping from a few people. Also seen it in some forums. But pretty much everyone says they great blades. I'll give them a call tomorrow. And probably Olson too... Just to see what they recommend. I'm not sure if I should find one for wood and one for Plastics and like stabilized Woods or there's one for all of them?

jttheclockman

Hey guys and gals,

THANKS!

When you ask a question like this you can get various answers and the main reason is we do not know your entire intentions you have with these blades. So the best we can do and what they will tell you at Suffolkmachinery is give recommendations for a general use blade. So in that case my suggestion is a Skip tooth, 6-8 tooth per inch, 0 rake blade. It will cut all materials and the size you are asking with a nice fine smooth cut. I suggest a 3/8" to 1/2" blade. I suggest a bi-metal blade. I also suggest when you get the blade and mount it, take some 100 grit sandpaper and as you rotate the blade by hand touch the back of the blade, (not the teeth) so that you knock off any burrs from manufacturing. My opinion only.

Dieseldoc

No both my band saws 14 and 18 have been run wth Timberwolf and Carter.
Results are the same no matter what material I cut, plastic, wood or resin.

You have to keep saws tuned, meaning guide ailment and blade tightness.

Charie

jxdubbs

talked to the timber wolf lady. For acrylics and pen blanks.

Bimetal 93.5"x1/2" 10/14---(acrylics pen blanks)

For bowl blanks she suggested

AS 93.5"x1/2"x3 TPi wood

Also I talked to Olsen

93.5"x1/2" 3TPI Gook tooth

SKU # FB2393DB for both acrylics in cutting bowl blanks

Also I talked to woodcraft they said this would work for both.

jxdubbs

I make 95% of the time are acrylic pens and vape tank drip tips. Mostly crosscuts for the length I need.
The other 5% would be wooden or stabilized bowls and round atomizer stands

Top Bottom