band saw

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

MikeM

LOML asked me if I still was thinking of a bandsaw to cut corian blanks. Geesh I don't know if I can cut it with a band saw blade or not.
What say you guy's, help me out here.
Been thinking of 10"or 12" bench type saw--but what kind of blades do i need?
thanks , mikem

got lots of corian for free but it needs to be cut to length--most of it is 1/2 thick

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Deere41h

Corian cuts very nicely on a band saw with any good quality wood blade. I cut enough corian to make a hundred pens for a turnathon for the Freedom Pen program and the blade was still in very good shape.

I would suggest a 14" bandsaw. If you want to be cutting your own blanks I wouldn't go any smaller. Both Jet and Grizzly make great 14" saws. I'm sure there will be more recommendations from others as well.

AirportFF

I cut my blanks on a 1937 Delta 10" bandsaw. Corian was never a problem. Just make sure that the blade is for hardwoods. You want something about 1/4" wide.

KenV

I have best durability with bi-metalic blades. Used them on an old sears 12 inch and now on the 14 inch delta. They will handle brass or alumimum and then go back to cutting hardwood. I think the one running now is an Olsen -- but there are a couple other good brands.

It was explained as high speed steel where the front of the teeth are cut welded on a spring steel back.

Fangar

I have the jet 12". I do quite a bit of resawing, and it works pretty well. I would have loved the 14", but with the space issue and major jump in price, I settled for the 12". It is an excellent saw and really handles just about everything I need it to. I have the timberwolf blades, and they are worth the extra coin too!

Fangar

BryanJon

Sears has a great new 12" model that I just purchased on sale. Very happy with it so far. Had a small 9" Delta for the longest time.
The Craftsman is a huge step up with power and depth of cut for me.

ldimick

Some how this seems like a discussion where Tim Taylor from Tool Time should jump in and start grunting for more power!

The 1/4" blade is a good guideline. My little $99 Ryobi cuts the Corian but the blade drifts out a bit because it is a bit small. Maybe I need to get the right blade.

MikeM

Thanks for the advice on the band saw guy's. I waited a couple days to give time for replys.
Looks like it's off to woodcraft to check out the 12" Rikon saw.
This just might be the ticket for me. The people at my woodcraft are super helpfull. So will reply when I get the bandsaw (which ever one)
Mikem

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom