Bamboo Pen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

jenamison

200551711917_Pens%2011647%20pt2.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jenamison

This is my first attempt at a bamboo pen. I bought a bamboo place mat from Pier One Imports for $3. Enough to make about 15 to 20 slimlines. Color scheme turned out kinda interesting don't ya think?

--Mike

dubdrvrkev

Nice pen.
I have bamboo growing in my yard and have been eyeing it lately thinking, "I wonder if I can turn some of that?" Maybe I'll have to give it a try.

jenamison

Thanks, Lou. My wife told me to put it on and see what people had to say. I tell you what, that may be the cheapest pen blanks I've ever be able to buy. I also got some that may fit on larger pens like a Gentleman's. We'll see.

Mike

jenamison

HAHA...well becccaaauuussseeeeeeeee....my wife actually started the posting on here. I guess she got lonely with me outside in the shop turning all the time and found all you GUYS[8D][8D] to keep her company...Thanks by the way, but I can pull off a pretty convincing woman act. If you don't believe me just call my fire station one day!!

Mike[:D]

jenamison

Its extremely soft..don't let your hand slip on these or you'll be drilling a new blank. Yea I did have to drill some of the mostly hollow center. It's even more pronouced when you start sanding. Very soft when working it, but holds a nice finish so far and feels really tough in the hand.

Mike

jenamison

Thanks Tom...BTW if you are still reading this post, I emailed you the other day about your twist pen and first wanted to thankyou again for all the information, and second I turned my first one the other day....WOW...thats hard on the fingers and wrist, its gonna take a lot of work but if interested its in my pictures. Again thanks.

Mike

JimGo

Mike, that twist pen looks cool! Gladyou could take a little ribbing...though don't you think it's time to get your own ID, and let Jen get outside and start turning some pens?

jenamison

Heck no, I've done most of the post on here. It would take me all night to get back to where I am[:D][:D]!!!!
She turns a little but not to much...She'd be happy to let me do the turning! Anyway this is my way to give my wonderful wife (house mom of 3 at that) her time in the spot light.
[:I]

Mike

Tom McMillan

Hey, Mike---nice work on the twist (spiral)!!! Yes, I think my fingers have toughened up a bit after doing a number of them---but, now I'm enjoying doing it---but, they do take some time.

jenamison

Thanks Tom, couldn't have done it without your help. Wouldn't have even known how to start. Glad this site is on the web, just told my wife tonight that I don't believe there is any better group of people and knowledge on the internet!
Ok everybody in the other sites, please don't kill me for saying that. I'm just biased!

Mike

hobby_dale

Sweet pen Mike! Great job. I was wondering if it could be done and how it might turn out. Thanks for the info on the bamboo and helping answer the question. Keep up the good work!

Ryan

Ok! Am I missing something here? You made this from a placemat? How thick is the placemat? or did you cut it up and laminate it?

Another cheap or free source of bamboo blanks is hardwood floor company's. Sometimes they have scrap.

Ryan

jenamison

The placemat was about 20 stalks of actual bamboo linked together. No lamination, actual bamboo stalks. You may be able to find the placemats online at Pier One Imports, not sure but I bought it from one of there stores here in town.

swm6500

This looks like it may be the placemat that was used for this pen.
http://www.pier1.com/store/productdetail.asp?catalog%5Fname=Pier1&strStoreNavDept=&strStoreNavClass=&search=true&multipleresults=true&strSearchDescr=bamboo+placemat&intSearchPriceRangeID=0&intSearchCategoryID=0&intSearchTypeID=2&category_name=GROUP+46965+Bamboo+Placemat+Oxblood&intPageNumber=1&intSetNumber=1

J. Fred Muggs

Mike, please don't tell us about the impersonation act for the fire station. some things we'd rather not know. The pen is great. The laminated bamboos are nice, but this one everyone can recognize as bamboo!! Cool[8D][8D]

jenamison

Just so I don't totally confuse everyone about what I do...I am currently a firefighter/paramedic in Tallahasee Florida, but was a police officer in Cobb County Georgia which borders the city of Atlanta.

Mike

53Jim

Not to sound mushy or anything, but thanks for the work that you do, and have done. I went to school to be a police officer, but couldn't handle the fact that I would have to carry a side arm.

Now I drive a wheel chair van for the elderly and disabled; similar to your present career, but nowhere near as dangerous.

Thanks for doing the job you do.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom