Bamboo Cutting Boards

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

reddwil

I picked up 3 bamboo cutting boards yesterday at homedepot. They are 3/4 thick. Before I waste them cutting them up. Does anyone know if the are solid bamboo or are they laminated.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

seamus7227

something that thick would have been done in layers i would think, only because bamboo doesnt get that thick. but no matter what, if you wanna know, you are gonna have cut at least one of them

Gulfcoast

--- the Bamboo cutting board that I used was all Bamboo (solid laminated strips) ---- no gaps or inclusions

Joe

Attachments

• Bamboo Two 1.jpg
    Bamboo Two 1.jpg
    35.2 KB · Views: 170

MrWright

Passed Away Oct 12, 2022
In Memoriam
They are laminated. A piece that thick is usually laminated. I have cut bamboo boards that thick, made pens from it as well. One thing about cutting a blank, or even making a hole in the blank. BE SURE TO CUT IT LONGER THAN NEEDED AS IT HAS USUALLY CHIPS, OR PEELS, OFF LIKE A BLOW OUT WHEN THE BIT COMES THRU' THE BLANK. Also, I found it best to put thin CA on the cross peices of the laminated part before you start lathe work. The top and bottom layers of the bamboo will be one direction and the inside (looking like small dominoes) go the other direction. Frank

Wood Butcher

Local Chapter Leader
It most likely will be laminated with the pieces being about 3/16" thick. I used a board from Rockler that was purchased to make a cutting board to make this pen, The laminated seams are super hard to see. Go for it.
WB

Attachments

• Panda Chow.JPG
    Panda Chow.JPG
    55.5 KB · Views: 146
Top Bottom