Ballpoint, Rollerball & Fountain Pen Component Sets

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

larryc

Looking through a Levenger (Tools for Serious Readers) catalog that I received today I noticed that there were several examples of pens that were identical except that three options were available for the same style pen; Ballpoint, Rollerball and Fountain Pen. My curiosity aroused I looked through the excellent and indispensable Wayne Racinowski (wracinowski) Pen Kit Bushings and Tubes chart and could find only one component set that offered all three - Big Ben from PSI.
Does anyone know of any other component set that offers these three options?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

EricJS

Looking through a Levenger (Tools for Serious Readers) catalog that I received today I noticed that there were several examples of pens that were identical except that three options were available for the same style pen; Ballpoint, Rollerball and Fountain Pen. My curiosity aroused I looked through the excellent and indispensable Wayne Racinowski (wracinowski) Pen Kit Bushings and Tubes chart and could find only one component set that offered all three - Big Ben from PSI.
Does anyone know of any other component set that offers these three options?

Exoticblanks.com carries 5 that I know of: Triton, Jr. Gent II, Rinehart, Atrax, and New Series Flat Top. All 5 are available in Ballpoint, Rollerball, and Fountain.

its_virgil

The El Grande was once available in all three...not sure if the ballpoint is still available..if not does that make the ones I have increase in value?:biggrin::biggrin: I actualy think I purchased them when they were closed out. I really like the El Grande but I know there are many who don't.

Shouldn't that be the Pen Component Bushing and Tube Chart? Naw....I still like to call them kits. Something about calling kits component sets just doesn't sound right... To each his own!

Do a good turn daily!
Don

Last edited:

azamiryou

Depends what you mean by "identical". Typically the rollerball and fountain pen are the same except the front section - same tubes, bushings, etc. The ballpoint, being a twist or click pen, doesn't have a cap and uses different tubes and bushings from the RB and FP. But the styles go together.

More I haven't seen mentioned yet are the Euro (aka Designer) and PSI's Vertex line.

Russianwolf

The tubes and bushings for the PSI cigars are identical between the three types. All use 10mm tubes and the bushings are the same. Not aware of any other set that is interchangeable like that. It's nice as if you start turning and the blank turns out to be really special, you can just mount it on the FP hardware. Or if the blank is a dud, ballpoint.

Now, the old PSI cigar RB and FP were not good quality. metal on metal threads for one. The new version is a snap cap, and may be better. I haven't tried one yet.

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
Close but no Cigar

The Jr Gent 1 has 3 of 4 bushings the same for the ballpoint as the other two but there is a very minor difference (makes it real easy to mix up the bushing sets) in the tip bushing....why they did that is beyond me when just a slight change in the tip would have let all three use the same bushings.

Top Bottom