Balancing the Retro Jr.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

marcruby

While opinions vary, I'm one of those who like the looks of the Retro Jr. However, I don't like the balance of the pen when the caps is posted - too backheavy. My first try was pop the little black final and turn a plastic version. That was better, but still not good. Next I'm going to try weighting the pointy end a bit. I suppose I could close end the pen so that you just couldn't post it. Or turn a dohickey onto the pen instead of the whole top finial.

Any other ideas or unique approaches to pen balancing (other than tiny helium balloons)?

Marc

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

wdcav1952

Activities Manager Emeritus
Originally posted by marcruby

I can just see me trying to explain that to a buyer![:eek:)][:eek:)]

Originally posted by MLKWoodWorking

Sure that is easy. Don't post. :D

And tiny helium balloons would be easier to explain? ;)

Seriously, is this just a problem for you, or have customers/potential customers noticed this? For my hand, the pen balances well when posted. If it is just something that you notice and you have no complaints from users, the best fix is silence.

FWIW,

Dan_F

I posted a link from the Fountain Pen Network not too long ago that was a poll on whether or not people posted their pens when writing. The conventional wisdom here is that it's hard to sell a pen that won't post. However, the poll revealed that more than half of the respondents didn't routinely post their pens. Very few said they always posted, many who did post said it was dependent on balance, and would not post if it didn't feel right. None said they wouldn't buy or use a pen which didn't post.

Here is the link if anyone is curious: http://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=67471

I would never post any of the standard kits (El Grande, Churchill, Jr's, as they are all poorly balanced with caps on, but nicely balanced without. Actually I take that back, the El Toro balances well posted, but is just plain too heavy to write more than a few lines with for me.

Dan

marcruby

Depends on how you want to look at it. I first noticed it on a pen that a customer was interested in. So I turned to a friend and said how does that feel when you write. He said 'top heavy.' So I measured where the balance point was and 'yup, top heavy.' I decided to wait before selling the pen to try to correct it.

As I said, replacing the black metal finial helps - maybe enough to get away with. I've got some flyfisher's wire weight somewhere and I want to figure out just how much it would take to make it right for my hand. I'm convinced a quarter gram or so in the right place will do it.

OK, I'm nitpicky, but a teacher once said 'never put out anything that isn't your best, it will come back to haunt you.' Good advice, that.

Marc

Originally posted by wdcav1952

Seriously, is this just a problem for you, or have customers/potential customers noticed this? For my hand, the pen balances well when posted. If it is just something that you notice and you have no complaints from users, the best fix is silence.

FWIW,

redfishsc

The vast majority of the FP's I make and sell are closed-end. Very, very, very few people who like FP's will buy one that has the posting cap on it. They are just used to pens that do not post (not that all FP users are that way, but the ones in my sphere are).

Here is how I do a Jr. Retro. Without the cap, it feels so great in the hand. Some folks like the hourglass shape (I'd wager we got the shape from our turning tool handles), some folks prefer a simple, gentle taper---- others prefer a straight-cylinder shape with a slightly rounded end.

I prefer closed-end pens by a longshot myself.

motherearth_jrretro2.jpg

wdcav1952

Activities Manager Emeritus
Marc,

The following snippet is that on which I based my coment. It depends on how someone posts their problem.

(Snip) However, I don't like the balance of the pen when the caps is posted - too backheavy. (Snip)

After reading your second post, it now is obvious, even to me, that someone other than you has a problem with the weight of the pen. That makes for a different situation.

Like Matt, I like the balance of a closed end pen. However, when set on the desk, they have the possibility of rolling onto the floor and adjusting the nib in a drastic manner. For that reason alone, I prefer a pen with a posted cap and a clip.

Some people here like pens with dramatic contours. Most of the kits we buy are made to balance when turned bushing to bushing. Abrupt changes to contours make balance problems more likely in my opinion.

I do admire that you are, in your words, nit-picky. If you feel that 0.00055 pounds of weight will balance your pen in such a way that a customer will notice a difference and cannot accidentally dislodge your counterweight, by all means do so.

Originally posted by marcruby

Depends on how you want to look at it. I first noticed it on a pen that a customer was interested in. So I turned to a friend and said how does that feel when you write. He said 'top heavy.' So I measured where the balance point was and 'yup, top heavy.' I decided to wait before selling the pen to try to correct it.

As I said, replacing the black metal finial helps - maybe enough to get away with. I've got some flyfisher's wire weight somewhere and I want to figure out just how much it would take to make it right for my hand. I'm convinced a quarter gram or so in the right place will do it.

OK, I'm nitpicky, but a teacher once said 'never put out anything that isn't your best, it will come back to haunt you.' Good advice, that.

Marc

FWIW,

redfishsc

Like Matt, I like the balance of a closed end pen. However, when set on the desk, they have the possibility of rolling onto the floor and adjusting the nib in a drastic manner. For that reason alone, I prefer a pen with a posted cap and a clip.

Hmmmmm.... Hadn't thought of that, Cav. Haven't done that yet either, but with me, it's only a matter of time[B)]. Come to think of it, I did have one customer that had a damaged nib-- he complained about it not writing right, and the nib was obviously damaged--- I'm willing to bet he dropped it.

Another angle on the "cap posted vs. not posted" issue---- our kit pens are a PITB for unscrewing from the post when you don't want them to. When I'm writing, they tend to torque just enough for the threads to loosen up sometimes. For me, really irritating. That, and I have to make sure I post it with the clip pointing away from the seat of my hand-- more of a personal irritation than anything.

Top Bottom