Balance....

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

MatthewZS

So I've seen alot of people speaking in context of Serious pen afficianados about well balanced pens and good weight. If I want to really make quality pens that meets a functional and NOT JUST aesthetic mark should I be weighing my pens? I know it varies pen to pen, but is there some rule of thumb for how heavy is just too heavy or how light is just too light?

Thanks.

P.S. - I THOUGHT I posted this earlier tonight also but it dissapeared, so if you find the duplicate where I failed just ignore it. Or let me know where it is and I'll delete one or the other.

Rangertrek

The weight of a pen is dependent on the kit selected and the blank it is paired with. I don't think the weight is an issue. Each person will make the determination of when a pen feels "heavy" or "light" to them.

The balance issue is probably in reference to using a capped pen when the pen is used with the cap posted or not.
So, no rule of thumb that I know about. Just personal preference.

BRobbins629

Passed Away Dec 28, 2021
In Memoriam
I think most of the commercial high end pens that attract the serious pen afficianados are much lighter than most of the kit pens. They do not use metal tubes, and use much less metal on other parts leading to a lighter pen. I would agree that its still a personal preference, but lighter pens seem to have a larger market share than heavier ones. The heavier ones tend to be more ornate and are more likely to be desk or diplay pens rather than carry or every day use pens. Go on the fountain pen network and read some of the reviews. You will notice that feel or balance if often one of the attributes rated.

Top Bottom