Bakelite Materials

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

dfurlano

I have been working on getting some Bakelite materials made. Here are some samples that I have worked with so far. I plan to have some opaque yellow with white swirl available soon.

If you don't know Bakelite was used in retail products including pens in the 1930's and 40's but it is well known as a material for making jewelry from the late 1930's till about 1970. It has fallen out of favor for injection molding materials but the colors and the surface finish are unmatched and truly outstanding.

1-2) Translucent Gold and Green with White swirl. Ebonite black ends. Wanted to see how it would look as an eye dropper.

3) Translucent yellow/orange on the out side but a pale yellow once turned. Part looks like porcelain when finished.

4) Red cap with four start thread inside.

5) Purple with white swirl made into an eye dropper with ebonite ends.

6) Yellow transparent.

7) Vintage Bakelite beads in a pale yellow. beads had a hole in them and that is why they have "eyes". Very limited material but more beaded materials are planned in limited runs.

bake3.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jskeen

Dan;

Just how "limited" are the quantities we're talking about here? If you're having a run custom produced usually there is a fairly hefty minimum quantity. Do you have a swag at price per blank?

Neat stuff, love to get my hands on some.

James

dfurlano

Well without having anything in my hands my initial estimate is that a 3/4" x 12" rod will be $20+shipping.

I need to see how this stuff sells before I can say how limited. But if it is moderately successful I can see doing special custom one lot runs that I would sell for a higher price. Other more common colors will be standard stock. Beaded materials will be more due to the fact that the beads are first cast then put back into the rods.

I will have some shorts available for sale soon. These are various sized pieces that are more then 2" long and greater then 5/8" diameter in a variety of colors. Good for accents and people just wanting to try the material.

dfurlano

Good, I'm glad you got to express your opinion. What kind of response are you looking for? Oh, I'm so happy you don't like it!

Dario

I believe there are bakelite product collectors due to the fact that production of it stopped decades ago. This could be good for marketing.

I wonder if these are newly produced or just old stock.

dfurlano

Dario.

This is new material. I will post something soon about the company but for the time being a great grandson pick up the patents and is continuing the company.

Dan

wdcav1952

Activities Manager Emeritus
Dan, it is always good to see the "old" materials brought back. I am on the fence about the one with the beads in it, but definitely see promise with some of the others. Please keep us posted on your progress.

Wildman

Dfurlano, not looking for an argument or trouble. You already know my opinion of your examples. If really expected a response. Would run along the line of: “ give me some time and will knock your socks off with colors.â€

My problem is with color of product and not you. If you have a problem with me and my opinion so be it, will certainly avoid any further contact.

I certainly apologize for not being more tactful.

IPD_Mrs

We have been dealing with Bakelite for years as it was very widely used in furniture hardware in the 30s and 40s. It was very prominant in the old Waterfall style hardware. The two major ploblems we have in dealing with it is brittleness and it tends to be more translucent than plastic. As it ages it becomes even more brittle and sunlight will speed that transition greatly. The translucent problem could be from the specific manufacturer that we have used, but some of the thinner Waterfall inset pieces can be problematic for us.

It will be interesting to see where this goes. The prices may seem high to many but for Bakelite it is not bad. It is much more costly than plastics and has almost become a lost art.

Mike & Linda

dfurlano

Mike,

You are correct the more translucent the more brittle the material becomes. The aging of the material like all plastics can be accelerated by both heat and UV. One of the biggest issues was the inconsistency in the manufacturing processes and raw material variations.

I was able to make the translucent pieces after figuring out how the material reacts to drilling and machining. Bakelite machines unlike any other plastic material. The translucent pieces you have to be careful drilling or they will break. But using coolant (drop or spray) and retracting the drill frequently will work fine. But the opaque pieces are much, much stronger. The additives increase the strength and make the material much tougher.

Although even with this said the material has a shine a feel totally different then acrylics or polyesters. And there are many items that have made it over time that have been cared for such as tableware and jewelry. And if you are lucky enough you can even find a pen or two made from translucent Bakelite. Visconti currently makes a series of Bakelite pens out of opaque material.

The reason it fell out of favor for pens was more due to the cost of the material and costly manufacturing secondary operations as compared to injection molding.

Dan

Tea Clipper

Originally posted by dfurlano

Good, I'm glad you got to express your opinion. What kind of response are you looking for? Oh, I'm so happy you don't like it!

Totally uncalled for Dan! The man was just giving you his opinion for which you asked for and this is you response?! How rude!:(

MDWine

DANGIT!!! I've been pretty good with my resolve NOT to buy things to make pens until I USE THE STUFF I HAVE...

I may not be able to resist this!!
This will make a nice pen, and when folks find out what it is, they will like it.

Geesh... count me in!

Top Bottom