Bake lite patina

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

OKLAHOMAN

About a year ago I sold some bakelite here that had a yellow patina when turned off it was a very pretty white swirl. I had reccomended reverse painting the blanks and today I was informed that at least one of these the patina came back after a year. If anyone else had this happen let me know...

alphageek

Former Moderator
I've not worked with bakelite in pens much, but some have some family members who are very familiar with plastics. Combine that with some internet research and comes up with this:

1) Bakelite (and some other early plastics... heck even a few modern ones) are Phenolics.
2) Phonolics will form a layer of phenol alcohol on the surface when exposed to UV light.
3) Phenol alcohol is a yellowish-brown color and thus will add a yellow tint to the underlying color.
4) Phenol alcohol actually blocks UV light so the layer that is yellow is very thin, therefore in our blanks it can be turned off.

So here is the kick - we either need to find a way to keep the UV off the pen or understand that the "patina" on it is likely to return. How much it returns and how quickly depends mostly on the amount of UV exposure.

OKLAHOMAN

Thanks Dean, that explaines why my pens that are left in my inventory have not regained the patina as they are all wrapped up except when at a show.

alphageek

Former Moderator
Just for anyone else reading this, its NOT limited to white bakelite. Blue bakelite will take on a more green color, etc.

I have seen this affect with other plastics (not bakelite) and had asked about it. Thats how I got some of the history of why it happens and what to look for. UV light is VERY bad for many plastics. Some discolor and some downright break down completely.

Top Bottom