Bag of Mesquite

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Fireengines

In parts of Texas Mesquite is plentiful. As a result, it is packed in 25 pound bags and sold to use in smokers. Most are small branches less that 9" in diameter and about 18" long. It is dry, very dry so it will burn hot.

Is it possible to use this wood for making pens? If so, would you suggest stabilizing it before turning?

Thanks if advance.

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Jim Burr

Banned
I haven't seen mesquite that needs stabilizing. Not saying it's not out there...just not to common. If a pen can be made from a belt...it should be cake with 9" mesquite.

Snowbeast

That's exactly how I got my first mesquite. Makes some really nice blanks. Most of the time you will not need to stabilize it as it is a very dense wood. The sapwood tends to be a bit soft but if you cut that away, you shouldn't have too much problem.

Most of the items I turn are mesquite and the variations in color and grain patterns are amazing.

The biggest problem with buying it this way is the expense for what you get. If you are willing to travel a bit, I know a couple of guys that clear mesquite trees from fields and they have a rather large stash of logs ready to load up. They are very reasonable on their prices. Shoot me a PM if you are interested in getting a name and number.

Jgrden

I make allot of pens with this wood. Never has given me an issue yet Nice sellers on the bolt action kits.

ghostrider

I remember liking a pen when seeing it with mesquite (can't remember a specific one), and I've seen some nice looking burls perusing ebay. People have used all kinds of things to make pens. What you use is up to you and if you think firewood will look good, then go for it. You may even do a search for firewood, as there have been at least one that was made from wood literally taken out of the fire by one of our members.

t001xa22

I too have used some Mesquite for penmaking. I have also used it for many years to smoke brisket. Don't know which it's better with.............depends on your "taste". JK, of course. I have found some of my best pieces at the local BBQ restaurants. The most it ever cost me was to make a pen for the owner one time, but usually, they will let you have a cut or two.

penmaker1967

i made one pen out of a blank that was a freebe and i loved the way it turns and polishes up i am like you long fellow i wish it was more common in north carolina to.

Fireengines

$11.99 and I got four blanks from two pieces.

Attachments

• mezquite-bag1.jpg
    mezquite-bag1.jpg
    40.5 KB · Views: 132
Last edited:

Fireengines

Well here is the first pen from the sack full of Mesquite.

I think I am better off using the rest of the wood to smoke with and take Seamus up on his offer.

Attachments

• Texas_Mesquite.jpg
    Texas_Mesquite.jpg
    50.5 KB · Views: 138
Last edited:

mrcook4570

Your pen looks great. Mesquite tends to be one of the more stable woods with regards to movement, so it is generally not necessary to stabilize it.

Top Bottom