Bad tranny???

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Gofer

I got a Sierra twist back today from a good customer whose pen will not retract. I tried it out and when it is extended the tip is about 1/4" past the nib. The Tranny rotates smoothly and works normally but the tip is still out when it is "retracted".

Not sure what happened but I am curious what kind of fix there is other than just replacing the tranny.

All help welcome.

Bruce

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

RDH79

Did they just change the refill? I had a couple that the refill tip was just a hair too big for the hole in the nib. It wouldnt go back in unless you pushed it.

Gofer

No everything is the way I assembled it....

OK found a problem, a skinny piece of black plastic about 1/4" long was in the way, where it could have broken off of I have no idea. The refill spins freely against the tranny but when assembled it works normally.

Not sure how this will stand up long term, where is a good place to get some spare trannies?

Bruce

JimMc7

<snip> where is a good place to get some spare trannies?

Bruce

Ernie at Bear Tooth Woods had Sierra transmissions at one time, but I don't see them now :confused:. The Village Workshop has them listed but I've never done business with them. I would make sure the transmission length is what you need (2.72" or 2.37" -- tip to tip -- product photo looks like the 2.37"). I have "sierra" type pens with both lengths and not sure if consistent length from one vendor or not.

Attachments

• IMG_7943.jpg
    IMG_7943.jpg
    33.3 KB · Views: 142
Last edited:
Top Bottom