Bad news and good news from Rikon

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Woodchipper

First, the bad news! I spent a good part of the day drilling blanks for ten Pens for the Troops. I got on my sixth blank and the quill wouldn't move but an inch or so. I took it apart, cleaned it, checked the parts, put it back together. Didn't work. So......I called Rikon customer service. Alex asked several questions to pinpoint the problem and possible solution. I bought the lathe from High Woodworking in Atlanta in March, 2013. Alex looked up the S/N and found it was built in 2010! Fortunately, I had registered the lathe when I bought it. Alex indicated it sounded like the threads on the bolt were damaged in some way which he couldn't explain.
Now, the good news! Alex said they would honor the warranty and will send the assembly which should arrive in 7-10 days. I can use the drill press for the rest of the blanks. Just have to wait to turn them and finish them.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Woodchipper

Actually I have three Rikon products- lathe, bandsaw, and slow rpm grinder. I had a bit of a problem with the grinder. They sent me a new grinder and paid shipping back to Rikon. Good to deal with folks who will stand behind their products.

The only thing I have found that the manufacturer won't stand behind is a manure spreader.

mmayo

I will not buy additional Rikon products. I have their slow speed grinder and it is a ten. The well used mini lathe and newer midi lathe have bearing issues. I have returned the mini for factory service and they stripped something and that made my original headstock dead. They gave me a used replacement and it arrived with a damaged screw threads and bad bearings. After two more months of wait and discussion I have a healthy threads and suspect bearings that make considerable vibration at high speeds. The new variable speed midi arrived with odd sounding bearings. That's it for me.

Jet, Nova, Laguna or other brand will be my next consideration.

Woodchipper

I got the parts within four days from Rikon and have them installed on the lathe. Mark, power tools are like anything- cars, air conditioners, etc. Some people will get great service and others will get the short end of the stick. I have a Honda Odyssey van and hate it. I've spent more money on it than the last five cars I have owned. I'll have to drive it for at least 28 years to break even.

While I agree the customer service is great - I spoke with Alex too regarding a tailstock problem and got it figured out - I won't be buying any Rikon products again. My low speed grinder developed wobbly wheels within 2-3 months so I have to take the truing tool to them frequently, and my 12.5" VS lathe has very suspect sounding bearings in the headstock as well, which for some reason sound worse on the two lower speed pulleys than on the highest speed pulley. It's still running true, but I'm waiting for the disaster to strike every time I use it. On the bright side, I want a Tormek and a Laguna Revo anyhow....

Woodchipper

TT, that is the problem that I had with the grinder. First, one wheel was drilled at an angle, making the wheel wobble. Got a new wheel. OK? Then.....when I tried to tighten the nut on the new wheel, the whole shaft turned. Tried to see if there were RH and LH threads but didn't solve the problem. Got a new grinder and prepaid shipping back to Rikon.
Did you check to see if the hole in the wheels were drilled straight?

Curly

........... My low speed grinder developed wobbly wheels within 2-3 months so I have to take the truing tool to them frequently........

A wheel with a friable bond will wear more unevenly than when it's run at slower speeds and become egg shaped requiring truing more often. In other words when run slower (1725rpm) the wheel behaves like a softer wheel would and cut cooler at the expense of longevity. It's a tradeoff. Put the same wheel on a faster (3450rpm) grinder and the wheel will behave like a harder grade and not wear as fast and more evenly but would heat the metal faster. This assumes the speeds are within the wheel is turning within the designated rpm maximum.

You want the cooler running wheel when sharpening carbon steel blades like chisels, plane blades and older wood turning tools. Get them blue and the hardness is gone. High speed steel was designed for the metal industries to hold it's edge even when near red hot so blueing the edge isn't an issue but if quenched in water while very hot it causes microscopic cracks, so if it gets hot, set it aside to air cool. The discolouration won't matter.

You want to dress your wheels whenever they show signs if glazing, shiney surface, as the abrasive is getting dull and needs to have fresh material exposed to cut at its best.

........... My low speed grinder developed wobbly wheels within 2-3 months so I have to take the truing tool to them frequently........

A wheel with a friable bond will wear more unevenly than when it's run at slower speeds and become egg shaped requiring truing more often. In other words when run slower (1725rpm) the wheel behaves like a softer wheel would and cut cooler at the expense of longevity. It's a tradeoff. Put the same wheel on a faster (3450rpm) grinder and the wheel will behave like a harder grade and not wear as fast and more evenly but would heat the metal faster. This assumes the speeds are within the wheel is turning within the designated rpm maximum.

You want the cooler running wheel when sharpening carbon steel blades like chisels, plane blades and older wood turning tools. Get them blue and the hardness is gone. High speed steel was designed for the metal industries to hold it's edge even when near red hot so blueing the edge isn't an issue but if quenched in water while very hot it causes microscopic cracks, so if it gets hot, set it aside to air cool. The discolouration won't matter.

You want to dress your wheels whenever they show signs if glazing, shiney surface, as the abrasive is getting dull and needs to have fresh material exposed to cut at its best.

Thanks for the added info but this isn't wear, it's slop. The wheels wobble side to side and no amount of tightening or black magic will fix it. I've searched online and others have experienced the same issues. Truing the face of the wheel negates the side to side slop by keeping a level grinding surface for a short time, but it doesn't last long. It's causing problems on the points of my 1" skews.

Top Bottom