Bad Fit

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

andyk

I turned my first acrylic the other day using the Wallstreet II kit from Woodcraft. When I put the pen body on the nib there is a gap of about 1/32" maybe 1/64" where the body tube doesn't seat all the way. If I take a tube and set it in place without the top on it it fits fine. I even dismantled the top and the body, put the top back on did not fully seat the top but still had the same problem.

I'm stumped: Does anybody have any ideas? Sorry about no picture my camera is broken.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

UKpenmaker

It sounds a little like you may have shortened the length of the barrel whilst squaring/trimming the ends.
I have come across this problem before, not that i have ever done it myself.:rolleyes:
What method do you use to square your ends, if you are using a disc sander, it doesn't take much pressure to take off too much.

randyrls

I turned my first acrylic the other day using the Wallstreet II kit from Woodcraft. When I put the pen body on the nib there is a gap of about 1/32" maybe 1/64" where the body tube doesn't seat all the way.

Andy; These are only suggestions. You have probably tried these already.

1. Make sure the brass tube doesn't stick up above the blank end, and make sure the end is square.

2. Try relieving the brass tube ends with a deburring tool. I always do this. Deburring tools are used in reloading bullets. Any good gun shop should have one.

3. Use a triangular file to file down the corner of the fitting. Cover the fitting with tape to keep from hitting the fitting where it will be seen.

andyk

The blank is proud of the tube by at least 1/32".
I use a barrel trimmer to square the ends.

What is everybody's preferred method of squaring your blanks?

Russianwolf

With the finial removed from the barrel, assemble the pen without the barrel (press the finial formly on the tanny). Measure the distance that should be filled with the barrel. Compare this measure with the barrel length and tell us what both are.

andyk

I figured out the problem. It was a squareness issue. Obviously somewhere I am not doing something right. To easy to blame the equipment. What does everybody do to make sure the barrel/body is square/flat? I have been using a pen mill kit that I bought but that doesn't seem to be working right.

I checked my drill press and the table is at a 90 to the quill, and I use a self centering pen vise when drilling. I am open to suggestions so I can get some repeatability.

MobilMan

Are you using a spacer [bushing] between the pen mill & inside of the tube? If your kit doesn't have one you need to make one that will take up the space between the two. Too much slop here will cause you to get a surface that's not 90 deg. to the tube.

gerryr

I figured out the problem. It was a squareness issue. I have been using a pen mill kit that I bought but that doesn't seem to be working right.

I checked my drill press and the table is at a 90 to the quill, and I use a self centering pen vise when drilling. I am open to suggestions so I can get some repeatability.

I use a pen mill to square up the ends. Does the pilot shaft for the pen mill fit snugly inside the tube? If it doesn't that could easily be your problem.

I hold the the blank, drilled and with the tube glued in, with a pair of channel lock pliers and have the pen mill in a hand drill. I have heard people say that is the wrong way to do it, but doing it on a DP seems like the wrong way to me because there is no guarantee that the inside of the tube is dead parallel to the outside of the blank, and in fact it is fairly unlikely.

nava1uni

I use a barrel trimmer in my cordless drill, which has a level mounted on it and it ensures that I am level to the blank which is mounted in a vise with rubber covering the metal so no scratches. There are some nice jig designs for the disc sander in the jigs forum. You might check them out.

gerryr

I use a barrel trimmer in my cordless drill, which has a level mounted on it and it ensures that I am level to the blank which is mounted in a vise with rubber covering the metal so no scratches.

Why would you need a level on the drill or wherever it is? If the pilot shaft is a good close fit inside the tube that automatically keeps the head square to the inside of the tube. And why do you worry about scratches, any scratches will vanish when you turn the pen?:confused:

Top Bottom