Back to the Skew

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

greenacres2

The first several pens I turned were with gouge & skew, awkward but okay. Then got my carbide tools from John (hanau), and that helped a LOT. Have accumulated resin & alumite blanks (George and Racer3770 have me hooked) and knew I had to work with the skew and learn to keep it sharp. Turned 5 or 6 non-wood pens over the weekend with my gouge & skew and got pretty comfortable with it.

Decided tonight that it was time to test--to see if I could turn wood without sanding. Spectraply seemed like a good test, since sanding dust discolors the bands. The result is below--gouge to round, then skew all the way down. Straight to 12 coats of BSI Super Thin CA then Micro Mesh. It may not show in this pen (just a funline slim), but with the 1" skew it's much easier for me to taper smoothly to center instead of leaving the middle fat.

I can't believe how much I've learned here in 4 months--all are so generous with their time. Thanks too, to those who asked questions I didn't know that I should ask so I could read the answers...and to those who left the Encyclopedia of Penturning in the Library!!
earl

Attachments

• IMG_1755.JPG
    IMG_1755.JPG
    46.8 KB · Views: 212
  • IMG_1756.JPG
    IMG_1756.JPG
    46.8 KB · Views: 217

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
I'm not a fan of Spectraply, but you nailed it! Well done!

And I will admit to being "Skew Challanged." :mad::mad::mad:!

Maybe next winter!

greenacres2

Yeah, it's not my favorite either--the few i'd tried (other than pink) really muted in sawdust. That's where the skew came in. I don't know that i'll ever get to the point of roughing with the skew but it sure looks easy on video!!
earl

JimB

I struggled many years with the skew until a fellow member of the local turning club gave me some one-on-one instruction. The skew is a fantastic tool once you learn to use it.

Very nice job on the pen.

Top Bottom