Back to the Skew - International Association of Penturners
     International Association of Penturners
Pens for Service Members

Support The IAP

Go Back   International Association of Penturners > Community Forums > Penturning
  Forgot Password
Register FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Penturning General penturning discussions not specifically addressed in one of the specialty forums.

Logged on members can hide ads!

Welcome to penturners.org!

You've found the home of The International Association of Penturners. You are currently viewing our site as a guest, which gives you limited access to view discussions, photos, and library articles.

Consider joining our community today. You'll have full access to all of our content, be able to enter our contests, find local chapters near you, and post your questions and share your experience with our members all over the world.

Membership is completely free!!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-06-2017, 10:12 PM   #1 (permalink)

Photos: 0

Default Back to the Skew

The first several pens I turned were with gouge & skew, awkward but okay. Then got my carbide tools from John (hanau), and that helped a LOT. Have accumulated resin & alumite blanks (George and Racer3770 have me hooked) and knew I had to work with the skew and learn to keep it sharp. Turned 5 or 6 non-wood pens over the weekend with my gouge & skew and got pretty comfortable with it.

Decided tonight that it was time to test--to see if I could turn wood without sanding. Spectraply seemed like a good test, since sanding dust discolors the bands. The result is below--gouge to round, then skew all the way down. Straight to 12 coats of BSI Super Thin CA then Micro Mesh. It may not show in this pen (just a funline slim), but with the 1" skew it's much easier for me to taper smoothly to center instead of leaving the middle fat.

I can't believe how much I've learned here in 4 months--all are so generous with their time. Thanks too, to those who asked questions I didn't know that I should ask so I could read the answers...and to those who left the Encyclopedia of Penturning in the Library!!
earl
Attached Thumbnails
img_1755.jpg   img_1756.jpg  
greenacres2 is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 09-06-2017, 10:54 PM   #2 (permalink)

Photos: 331

I'm not a fan of Spectraply, but you nailed it! Well done!

And I will admit to being "Skew Challanged." !

Maybe next winter!
Wadsworth, Ohio, OH 44281
Like the Midwest Penturners Gathering Facebook Page for all current information!
mark james is online now   Reply With Quote Top
Old 09-07-2017, 06:57 AM   #3 (permalink)

Photos: 0

Yeah, it's not my favorite either--the few i'd tried (other than pink) really muted in sawdust. That's where the skew came in. I don't know that i'll ever get to the point of roughing with the skew but it sure looks easy on video!!
earl
greenacres2 is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Advertisement
Old 09-07-2017, 08:39 AM   #4 (permalink)

Photos: 11

I struggled many years with the skew until a fellow member of the local turning club gave me some one-on-one instruction. The skew is a fantastic tool once you learn to use it.

Very nice job on the pen.
Related Content
Logged on members can hide ads