Back pats all around

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

cdcarter

I'm coming up on a month since discovering this place, and I just wanted to step back and say how much it has helped me.

What made me start thinking about this was recently seeing another guy proudly showing off a bunch of pens on his way to a craft show. Let me tell you, they were nothing I'd even give away, in part because my standards (and the quality of my pens) have been raised so dramatically in the past month. The fellow showing them was doing his best, and of course I politely oohed and aahed over his work and engaged him in a little general conversation. Only finish he knew about was Hut. (Heard of Mylands, but never used.) Nothing but a blank stare when I asked if he'd tried Enduro, lacquer or a CA-BLO finish. (Boiled Lindsay who?)

Ran across another guy who proudly pulled out a Euro that was simply a train wreck. The center band was on backward, and the ends hadn't been squared at all. I complimented him on it and suggested maybe the band would look better the other way, and I steered him to a pen mill set and gave him the penturners.org address.

I'm not putting these fellows down, because after all, I wasn't that far ahead of them before I started reading the library, watching the videos and asking novice-level questions.

The atmosphere around here is amazingly supportive, and nobody's ever made me feel like I was asking a question they'd seen 1,000 times. It's even made me proud when I had a little something to offer a time or two myself.

I've belonged to a dozen or so online communities (and run a couple), and I've never seen one to match this one. So for what it's worth, I appreciate you guys.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

wdcav1952

Activities Manager Emeritus
Carl,

Excellent post! The knowledge is here to improve the knowledge of those who chose to use the resources of this site. Thank you for saying so well what I have believed since Daniel invited to this site.

Rifleman1776

When I meet those types, I don't comment on their work. I might offer a low grunt of acknowledgment. When I get to mentioning I make pens also, I'll pull out the one I carry and show it to them. I have gotten to where I carry nothing but the best examples of my work. I know that is kinda bragging but it also (might) give them an idea of how much they need to improve their work. Then, I'll mention this forum and TPS and suggest they can get excellent suggestions on penmaking/turning by reading what is posted here. I also tell them to mention I sent them if they join. That way I get a gold star from Jeff. [;)] The downside to having those guys around is that people actually will buy their $5.00 and $10.00 junk then tell me how much more expensive my pens are.

gerryr

I currently, until the end of the year, belong to the local woodturning club. People there I make nothing but pens and I'm not considered a "real" turner. There is a show and tell at every meeting and when I finished my African Blackwood double closed end El Toro with the hidden clip ring, I showed it off. After the meeting, one of the members came up to me and said he had a pen exactly like it. I was fairly astounded and asked it he had it. He pulled out a Black Walnut Euro ballpoint. I told him mine was a fountain pen and made from African Blackwood. I might as well have talked to a door. The last straw was when the president asked me to make "throw-away" Bic pens to give out at the local fair and said, "You should be able to make these." I haven't been to a meeting since and don't plan to return. The few people in the club who do make pens buy the cheapest kits they can find, sand to maybe 320, apply some friction polish and that's it. I've actually wasted my time trying to talk to a couple of them and their response was "It's just a pen, why should I spend very much time on it?" I've encountered people like them at a couple of shows and I have had people ask why my pens are so much more expensive. I ask if the other guy's plating is guaranteed for like, is the wood rough, how do the metal parts fit with the wood, did they buy the wood or is it left over scraps from other project. I've sold pens to several people who've asked me that and then went to take a closer look at the cheapo pens. In almost every case, the people selling these pens also had some very nice turnings for sale; bowls, vases, boxes, all nicely done and usually nicely finished, but the pens were just garbage. Some people are interested in improving the quality of their pens and others absolutely don't care. I believe they expect it to be thrown away after a couple of weeks or months.

If I had not found this site nearly 2 years ago, my work would probably not be any better than theirs. This place and private input from friends I've made through here have resulted in improvements to my work that can't even be measured.

cdcarter

Gerry,

I think you may be onto something. This community seems to be populated with people who really care about quality, attention to detail, and doing things right. I've seen (I want to be careful not to impugn my local community. Have to live here, dontchya know...) guys who crank out 7mm Euros, Slimlines and Cigars by the dozen. Nothing wrong with any of those, but none of them have ever even seen a Gentlemen's or Churchill, let alone an Emperor or Majestic. The high end stuff just doesn't even come up on their radar. Needless to say you don't see much in the way of celtic knots. If you showed a Perfect Fit, they'd just say you were nuts to pay $8 for a twist when you could get a Slimline for half that. The oddly -- here's the part I don't understand -- they'll spend $10 on a burl and leave it with a Hut finish.

But they'll go out and sell their junk for $30-40 a pen all day long at the craft shows. I think I'm going to put together an exhibit of quality stuff and let local folks see what a good pen can look like.

Originally posted by gerryr
<br />Some people are interested in improving the quality of their pens and others absolutely don't care. I believe they expect it to be thrown away after a couple of weeks or months.

redbulldog

I have not made many pens (other irons in the fire) however every once in awhile, I go back and look at my first pen. I have a long ways to go as I am not satified yet, I feel they will continue to get better. All of you have been an inspiration to me to try harder and not to ever be satisfie with mediocre. I also have learned much from this site.
Thanks to all who show their work, it gives me somethin to shoot for.

Texatdurango

I guess if I had to come up with one word to describe what the site has given me, it would be "inspiration".

I started turning in February, made a couple slim lines, went to a local "Bubbasville" gathering of pen turners, saw what they were sharing and didn't even bother pulling my slimline out of my pocket.

I'll never forget two guys, Ron Mcintyre and Don Ward, who both were at the meeting showing around small cases of their work and I thought... Wow!, some day I'm gonna make some nice pens like those!

Well, I'm not there yet but am well on my way and thanks to a lot of discussions here and folks showing what they have made, I have been like a sponge soaking up knowledge.

They say a picture is worth a thousand words, well let's see...

The pen in the middle is the first pen I made in February, the one on the left I made after looking at several other closed end pens on this forum and the one on the right I made a few weeks ago after learning how to do knots and swirls from a few others here.

Had it not been for this forum and some of it's members (and ex-members), the pens on the left and right likely would not be, as I probably would have gotten bored by now with the same ole - same ole and moved on to turning other things.

Thanks guys!

20078701722_firstandcurrent.jpg

mick

I joined this site before I ever turned my first pen. If I hadn't found the IAP I would have probably turned a few pens, gotten bored, pissed off or dissatisfied, or all of the above depending on my mood or the state of the pen I was finishing at the time and given up soon after starting. Instead I looked at the other members pens, I read the library, I read tips asked questions and more questions. I can honestly say that without this site and it's members I wouldn't be making the pens I am today! They have challenged me, inspired me and on more than one occasion made me think! I'm still not satisfied a lot of the time with my work. Connie says I my worse critic...but I do not want to sell a pen , or give one away for that matter that I wouldn't buy or carry. I'm like Frank, I carry my best work. I'm not about to pull out a screw up and then tell someone, "oh I made this" I met people like Carl mentioned. They pull out some pen they've made an want a comment on it. If it's nice I'll tell them so but on the less than stellar ones I just comment about pen turning being a lot of fun and a rewading hobby ....lol

Anyway I digress. I echo what Carl and the others have said. We have a quality site run by quality people and our member are first rate! I feel as if I have friends and mentors here even though most of you I've never met!!

I know I tend to ramble...but bottom line YOU GUYS ARE GREAT!!!

LEAP

One thing I'd like to add to this discussion. I learn just as much from the questions as from the answers. They make me think and give me ideas on other ways to do something or something else to try. Keep the questions coming I need all the help I can get[;)]

Rifleman1776

Very sad about the attitude at your woodturning club. No matter what the avocation, folks should encourage each other. Happy to say, my woodturning club respects everyones varied talents. I was invited to do a demo at a meeting and it was well received. PSI and CS kicked in with some freebies. Now, several other members are doing pens and enjoying it. I've created my own competition, but, what the hey...it is for fun and creative satisfaction. Keep on with what you are doing, so far, you are light years ahead of many others. And, yes, the forum members are great teachers and mentors.

I think teaching and passing on what you learn is part of the joy of what I do. No I'm not the best, No I'm not perfect, but I tell everyone if you are not trying to reach perfection then you will never get as close as you could have. I tell you the most fun I had in my shop in a year was making a rather imperfect bird house with my 11 year old nephew, who was using the bandsaw and power tools for the first time. You guys watch out hes good,LOL he may be the next Sam Maloff the way he had that bandsaw singing to him. People with bad attitudes and unwilling to share what they know are not in it for the love of what they do, just a check, and that is not me. Good Luck Everyone and just cuase you get older never give away your dreams this is someting that is lost as we age and its a real shame. Victor

VirgilJ

Carl,

I'm glad you started this thread.It addresses something I've thought about for quite a while.

The people on this forum are indeed some of the nicest I have run into on the net.They are willing to share information with anyone that asks and have been a tremendous source of knowledge to me.

I turned pens before moving to Florida and thought I had a pretty good handle on it.I was absolutely worng!! Due to the move and the hassel of building a new home and getting setteled in a new location I dropped the hobby for a number of years. I started turning pens again about six months ago and somehow ran across this site. I've learned more by reading the posts here than you can believe. The quality of the pens I make has skyrocketed. In fact, I am so ashamed of the pens I made before that I gave away all of them that I had left. Before people were very impressed with my pens, but now their jaw kind of drops and they have a hard time believing I even made it!!

I owe a big thank you to all the people here that have helped me along the way.You have made something that is a hobby for me a great deal more enjoyable and satisfying.

drayman

hi guys, well it looks like everythings already been said.except my bit of story, oh and i agree with all thats been said.i have just started turning about 3 months ago and started on pens,which i love doing. now i thought my pens were good but after looking on here and joining the forum i soon ( 10 mins ) found out they were CRAP. compared to you guys pens.now i have something to aspire to functional,baeutiful, works of art, and if i can get close to you guys, i will be happy. ( for the time being ) best regards colin.

great12b4ever

Well, there is not much I can add. I am fairly new to penturning, and am working on a 1953 model shop master lathe that runs about 1600 rpms on the slow side, so it kind of stops the ca/blo finishes I have read about. I am still building jigs, and in the process of remodeling my shop, plus doing my normal wood working, I build outdoor and indoor furniture also, plus I work 60 hours per week on my income producing job, and have a 90 minute commute each way to work. My 83 year old father who has leukemia lives with us so a lot of my time is spent helping my wife help him, plus the normal honey-dos in addition to trying to fix up a 60 year old house, but I am not complaining! I have turned maybe 40 pens so far. I only have one (1) that I think is half-way decent. I must confess that I have been buying the cheaper slim-line kits to practice on and to get the feel for what looks right. Haven't sold my first pen yet, and frankly don't want to sell the inferior product I am now making, BUT !!! Look out world, I am getting better with each turning, having a lot of fun, and some day, I think I might be good enough to call myself a pen-turner, maybe in a couple of years[^][^][^]

Rob

Scott

This just warms my heart! And it is exactly why Jeff and I started this place. But that's not why I wanted to post this message. I wanted to thank all of you! You are all the reason why this is a great place! I still learn new things every time I come here. Thanks so much for making this one of the best communities on the Internet!

Scott.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom