back filling a lasered image?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mywoodshopca

Charlottetown, PEI Canada, Derby Kansas and Canyon
Trying to put a lasered engraved logo black..

I tried with black acrylic craft paint after doing a CA finish.. seems no matter how many coats of (thin) CA I do, it still seems to want to bleed a little or soak into a few little spots around the engraved logo.. Any suggestions or what am I doing wrong?

Ruined 3 test blanks already trying to get it black and about to give up on it.

The wood I am using is maple..

The laser guy suggested maybe trying black shoe polish.. would that work better then the craft paint?

Thanks!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

thewishman

I apply my finish before the laser, then just fill the engraving with acrylic. Acrylic paint is made to protect, it shouldn't need an additional protective coating.

mywoodshopca

Thanks guys :)

Yes, I was putting normal coats of CA on then wiping the black acrylic on..

Heres another image logo I tried as a test..

Sorry about the crappy picture quality as I did it just with the flash..

You can see bits of the black around the lettering.. I will try a shot of spray with another test one tomorrow.

Attachments

• test.jpg
    test.jpg
    31 KB · Views: 221

jppensplus

I mix black color with two-part expoxy adhesive and apply that to the engraving. Once it's turned or sanded down, there is no bleeding.

Monty

Group Buy Coordinator
You could use the black rubber toughened CA, or a cheaper alternative would be to fill with coffee grounds and then hit it with thin CA.

Chasper

To use craft paint I would complete the turning, apply finish then laser with masking tape over the image area, then without removing the tape apply the paint, on top of the paint I would spray a clear coat, then remove the tape. However, I wouldn't normally use craft paint at all, I would use laser black. It is a powder than you apply with the tape in place, then clear coat before removing the tape. Laser black (it is available in lots of colors) does not seep under the masking tape like paint tends to do.

For an even nicer effect, I would try crushed stone; black jet, turquoise, malachite, whatever.... Turn to about 98% complete but do not finish, do the laser engraving, then overfill the engraved area with crushed stone, then harden it with thin CA. Finish the last bit of turning and apply finish. There is a tutorial in the library for applying crushed stone.

I made some Obama wall street pens. On one side it said Obama on the other side of the pen it said yes we can . finish with 3 coats of ca. then had them engraved. Black shoe polish is the ticket. KIWI LEATHER HEEL & SOLE EDGE color renew. Spoung it on wipe it off with paper towel. Made them out of old broom handles i got from work. Sold sixty to seventy. At 45 to 55 each and they loved them.

mrcook4570

It appears as though you have sanded away the CA in certain areas. If the CA finish completely encapsulates the blank, then the paint will not penetrate into the wood and all excess paint can easily be wiped from the surface.

broitblat

I'm not sure why, with your process, you'd be having an issue with color filling, but as another option, fill with crushed stone:

1) Turn pen barrel slightly proud (don't assemble)
2) Laser engrave
3) Fill with fine crushed stone (I like the black from CSUSA) and thin CA
4) Sand to final profile and finish

-Barry

mywoodshopca

I'm not sure why, with your process, you'd be having an issue with color filling, but as another option, fill with crushed stone:

1) Turn pen barrel slightly proud (don't assemble)
2) Laser engrave
3) Fill with fine crushed stone (I like the black from CSUSA) and thin CA
4) Sand to final profile and finish

-Barry

Thanks Barry,

I will need to try the stone sometime :)

KiltedGunn

Local Chapter Leader
I've been reaserching this today myself and Ken at Kallenshaan recommends using coloring from www.laserbits.com click on the Laser Supplies link.

LaserBits also mentions using shoe polich as a cheap alternative :biggrin:

Top Bottom