Back to basics.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

rlharding

I know that most of you are wellllll beyond this stage but.....

I don't know what glue to use for the blanks and the brass. I am 'afraid' that CA won't work because I had some failure a few years ago and so stayed away from pens. I have some thick CA but am still concerned it might fail just because of that previous experience when I know I probably used regular CA back then.

I am using Gorilla glue and of course I am not wearing gloves so my fingers are a delightful colour and texture. However, I have had more than a few brass tubes push out of the blank during the curing process. Yesterday I used GG again and this time I put the elastic band across the top and bottom of the blank to encourage the brass to stay in the blank.

I have one of the tube inserters and think it is the most ridiculous tool I have ever attempted to use, hence the fingers.

Is thick CA a standard (that's for you Lou)that is used by many?

thanks for reading such a basic question.

ruth H

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Firefyter-emt

Well I for one use pretty much all Gorilla Glue. I do not seem to have the problem others have with tube push out. A rubber band (or masking tape haly way over the hole) will solve that. For the cost GG is hands down the winner, and I personaly like how it will expand to coat the tube. I can show you 3 PR blanks that I tried to get CA to fully bond. I had large air pockets and this may be a large cause for blow outs where the wood is not glued down.
If you are carefull, and use a notepad to set the blanks on while curing, most all of th emess is gone. CA does have a place as I still like it to glue PR blanks, but for wood... I will stick to the Gorilla Glue hands down!

Woodlvr

Lee,
How long do you have to wait for GG to dry before turning the blanks? Have you used the new quicker less forming GG for blanks? Thank you for your help.

Mike

Gary Max

Save a buck and get a better glue---Elmers sells a Polly Glue has some perks---cost about 2/3 of GG--cleans up better---expands less---dries faster.

Firefyter-emt

I plan to try the faster cure glue soon, to be honest the bottle lasts so long I think I have only used maybe 3 bottles ever!

I tend to let them dry over night. I drill and glue and then turn the next day. Rare that I don't have a few blanks glued and waiting to be turned!

ahoiberg

i've always used ca glue, i tried epoxy once but the ca just seemed easier. thick is normally what i use. i generally just put 3 beads on the tube after scratching it up and then a drop or two in the blank and twist the tube as i slide it in. if any glue gets in the tube, i just q-tip it before it dries and it's never caused me any problems. i've had a FEW that didn't get a good bond, but not enough to worry about.

leehljp

Member Liaison
I have ruined two or three blanks with CA when the CA "caught" before the tube was all the way in.

I can't get poly glue here. If I have one or two blanks, I will use 5 minute epoxy. If I am doing 3 or more, I use 20 or 30 minute epoxy.

CrazyBear

I used to have problems with the CA and the brass tubes but since I started scratching the outsid of the Tube with 120grit sandpaper before I glue I have had no problems wtith tubes coming out.

As for inserting the tubes i discovered that the Tommy bars for my chuck are just fine for pushing the tubes into place. ( I always clean any excess glue off of them before I use them in the chuck again[:D][:D][:D])

Dave_M

I haven't had a problem with using thick CA yet. Well, other than the tube sticking before it's fully inserted. I also rough'em up pretty good with 120 sand paper. I've since learned to coat one side of the blank with CA and one side of the tube with CA. I insert the tube so the tube is half way inserted before any gluing surfaces make contact. I haven't had a problem with stuck tubes using this method.

Rudy Vey

Normally on wooden blanks I use Polyurethane glue, like Gorilla or Elmers. Both glues sometimes will push out the tubes, therefore, I put a rubberband around it. For all types of plastics, acrylics etc., and when I am in a hurry to get a pen done, I use 5 min epoxy glue. After some searching and testing, I found the best, at least for me, 5' Epoxy: Devcon. I found it at a professional wood tool store (Force Machinery, Union, NJ).

IPD_Mrs

I have used the quick GG on the last 10-12 blanks. It is dry enough that I can turn it in about 30 minutes or so. Personaly I prefer to wait for it to dry over night. The new quick GG is much better to work with than the regular. I have never had a tube push out while curing. Suggestion for drying: Place some newspaper on your work bench, use a scrap piece of wood, such as 3/4" x 1" x 12". As you glue each blank place them over the scrap so that the ends hang over the sides. Do not get this stuff on your concrete floor. It will take part of your floor when you go to remove it. DAMHIKT
Dont be afraid to use too much of the glue. SO what it runs out more as it cures. You will also want to use the pink wax from AS to plug the tube ends.

Mike

rickstef

I have used the quick drying version of Gorilla Glue, the white/clear glue, with pretty good results, both in wood and plastic, on one project I was a bit hasty or impatient, and when I started to turn that blank, I imparted some torque to the blank that the GG let loose, and squealed all the way around the tube with the tool touching it.

I started with CA, use that the most, and the Quick Drying GG is a favorite, did pick up at Home Depot a small bottle of the Elmers poly glue, with "Nano Technology" I will probably use it on a pen for my mother which she wants.

Rick

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom