A or B Mandrel?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

TXTurner

When I started turning pens (earlier this year), I bought a starter kit from CSUSA.

While I still buy most of my supplies from them, I do find I like some of the blanks and Berea kits I see on Arizona Silhouette.

Is there any easy means of figuring out if my starter kit contains an "A" or "B" mandrel?

Thanks,

Mark

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

rej19

Your starter kit most likely contains an "A" mandrel which is the most common and used with the 7MM bushings. The "B" mandrel is larger and used with the larger diameter bushings. The larger Berea manufactured kits use the "B" size mandrel. Hope this helps.

wickford

Most likely you have an "A" mandrel, but you can check with a caliper. I think the dimension of both the "A" and "B" mandrels are listed in the mandrel section of the Arizona Silhouette website...

Welcome to the addiction!!!

leehljp

Member Liaison
Most companies that sell BOTH sizes will have a note somewhere on their site with the pen or at least in the specs as to whether it uses a B or A mandrel.

If there is no mention of it on any spec sheets or near the bushings, then it is more than likely an "A" mandrel set.

Although I have both, I don't use either 99% of the time. :wink:

novop711

I found that if you look at the bushing number from Arizona Silhouette you can tell which mandrel you need (e.g. 19A bushings use the "A" mandrel, 16B Bushings use the "B" mandrel).

Hope this helps.

Top Bottom