Axis Deer Antler

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Gary Max

I think it's the best there is----it's a very clean white.
Of course all I turn is white tail because that's what I can get my hands on.

Old Griz

Passed Away Oct 4, 2013
In Memoriam
Axis deer does not have a pith like Whitetail or Mule deer.. there is a blood hole in the center of the antler and the rest of the antler is pure enamel like the outside of a Whitetail or Mule deer...
Now that is not to say that the enamel is always pure white.. sometimes there is some grey or brownish grey color to it.. but the finish on them is always a treat and smooth as a baby's you know what...

tnilmerl

Axis racks are usually longer in the main stem than mule or white tail deer. Overall rack may have fewer points, but each branch is longer and thicker. And the core has a small open vein thru most of the main branch and large branch. I racks I have are similar in color to the mule and white tail, but color largely depends a several factors, such as mineral and food intake. In years past, most of my stock tended more towards white, but the year before last was an exceptionally wet year in South Texas and all creatures had a great grazing range with a large variety of food stock. I'm see deep greys and blues in the racks I have. Color down deep, not just along the surface bark.

I strive to cut my blanks such that I have some bark remainin on the barrel after turning down the blank. Due to the thickness of the Axis branches, I waste too much antler. This is why I choose mule or white tail over Axis. Plus the hollow core issue limits my drilling closer to the bark. Leaves too much porous material on the turned blank. Not a visually aesthetic characteristic in my book.

So much for my 2 cents.

alamocdc

Originally posted by tnilmerl
<br />I strive to cut my blanks such that I have some bark remainin on the barrel after turning down the blank. Due to the thickness of the Axis branches, I waste too much antler. This is why I choose mule or white tail over Axis. Plus the hollow core issue limits my drilling closer to the bark. Leaves too much porous material on the turned blank. Not a visually aesthetic characteristic in my book.
Travis, since the Axis is too big for your use, just send it to me and I'll dispose of it properly. [;)]

coach

They are exotics so I assume they can live anywhere. I like them because they are straight. They are generally only 6 pointers. (3 on points on each antler)

Old Griz

Passed Away Oct 4, 2013
In Memoriam
Originally posted by Paul Russell
<br />...and every Axis Antler pen I've made cracked within a week. [V]

I find that interesting... I have never had an Axis deer pen crack...
in fact this one is the first I made and was donated to the charity auction 4-5 months later.. it looked as good as the day I made it.
<br />
200596144450_AxisJrGent.jpg
<br />

Old Griz

Passed Away Oct 4, 2013
In Memoriam
Originally posted by Dario
<br />Curious...how much does these axis antler blanks cost? I may try making some ;).

Get hold of Johnny Dario he usually has some real nice Axis.. that is where I get mine.. and price has been reasonable

tnilmerl

What would believe would be a fair price? I have a few extra blanks in the shop at the moment and pen sales have slowed after the holidays and wife in wanting some extra income. It's easier to cut the rack down instead of trying to ship a whole rack (these things aren't exactly small 3-4' long, 18" across).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom