AWWWW RITE!!! The cost of having fun!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

papNal

I finally got my first keeper pen!! COST:$2386.73 (would have cost more but I got a used lathe and a free tree limb in my woods) Some of you folks said this was an expensive hobby HUMBUG!! You ought to be a fisherman living close to a BASS PRO SHOP.MY first keeper fish-COST:$48,498.32 (would have cost more but I got a used boat and free night crawlers in my woods):biggrin:
Really this has been fun,and just want to thank all you who helped things go sorta right on the pen.Your advice and ideas really helped.For instance what to do when one tube hung out 3/8", and what to do'after crying' when on the 5th blo & ca layer the blue paper attached its self to the great looking barrel:crying:.Hopefully one day I'll learn how to post a pix,next time my 4 yr. old grandson visits me I'm gonna sit down and have him teach me how to do it.Yawl have a Great day. pap

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Chief Hill

Now sell that pen for $2000.00 and get your money back. Lol... Glad your having fun as well. I know I do.

RAdams

Banned
I wish i would have kept track!

Pap, that was an excellent read! I am excited for your Grandson to visit so we can see the $2,400 pen!

JimMc7

:biggrin: Great story! I think pen turning is expensive until I compare my costs to what my brother-in-law spends for deer hunting:
  • Estimate $1,000-2000 for guns (both 30-30 & black powder) and bows
  • $8,000+ for a 4 wheeler to look for "signs of deer"
  • $20,000+ for 40 wooded acres in the hills of eastern Oklahoma
  • $5,000+ for a small hunting cabin so he & his buddies can play cards on their hunting trip
All for maybe, guessing here, 40-50 pounds of venison summer sausage every 2 or 3 years (which, frankly, I don't think even he likes).

I doubt he regrets a bit of the cost and I understand completely even though it would be a waste of money for me.

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
As a competitive trap shooter many years ago, it was figured that it cost a dollar every time you pulled the trigger. shells are now almost double what they cost then. I shot a case of shells every week for almost 3 years straight. Pen making/turning is a bargain.

HSTurning

My first pen was about 500. All new stuff Jet mini on sale, beginner chisels (only use parting tool now), beginner pen turning kit, Hut crystal coat and a few other odds. had a cordless drill and other hand tools. Made about 20 that way then bought a drill press and made a few more. Then bought a vise and a few other odds and ends. Did this a few times. I figure I have a a few $500-$1000 pens and a bunch $10-$50 :biggrin:

I kept all reciepts and I am in the process of putting all into Quickbooks. LLoking back I may fell better about this hobby if I lost the recipts:frown:. On the bright side we all have a chance to make some money at this hobby. My other hobbies cost money. Fish tanks (the fish I have dont breed in tanks, wild caught almost exclusive), sports cards cost money and very few hold money anymore, Video games cost money and money and then more money

rpearson

Great read! lol. There are so many other things we could be spending our money on and not have half the fun and enjoyment! Keep making them and your cost per pen will drop! :biggrin::biggrin: I got in a little cheaper simply because I already had the tools (and they were used...)

Top Bottom