Avonite Blanks

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

wdcav1952

Activities Manager Emeritus
While running through the various threads, I happened upon Alice's (elody21) album. I really like the Avonite. From Alice's work, it seems to come in more and better colors than Corian. Alice or anyone, do you have any sources (that you can share) for Avonite? Last but definitely not least, Alice, very nice work!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

PenWorks

Bill, I noticed that to. I was disturbed to see all those wonderfull bowlings balls cut up, but then again, I am a little disturbed.

I saw the Avonite, and thought the pens looked great. Should you find a source, let me in on it too.

Anthony

pen-turners

If I am correct, Alice cuts all these herself. Before I had a drill press,I bought about 400 blanks pre-drilled from her so she probably has some lying around. Sorry for letting the cat out of the bag Alice. She also does an amazing job laminating!!!!! She did all the laminations for my corian flag pens.

200511452141_flagcorian.jpg

speak%20no%20evil.gif

elody21

Wow, Thanks for the support!
Avonite does come in many more colors. At least ones that pen makers would love. A lot of the avonite that I use is polyester unlike corian which is acrylic. Polyester needs more care when turning and several of the colors are transparent. It is softer but needs a sharp tool because it will chip. I use shoe dye (not polish) on the inside of the drilled blanks in the color needed. A really good wood dye will work also.
I got most of my Avonite from a dealer going out of busness.
The best way to find it is call countertop fabricators. They are usually pleased to let go of some scraps in exchange for pens. I do have to buy the scraps at one place. But it is usually well worth it.

bajacrazy

Being the resident countertop fabricator here, I do have a fair amount of Avonite available. Seems that it goes very quickly. Either end up selling it or I turn it myself.[:D]

Alice hit the nail on the head about the workability of product. Avonite's studio collection is a polyester/acrylic blend and the series has the most interesting colors. Avonite also has the foundation series, which is 100% acrylic like Corian. This series has some nice colors and the workability is easier you'll find that it's softer than Corian's 100% acrylic.

elody21

John,
Just checked the Avonite web site. There are no Avonite dealers in or near Anchorage. My family and I love Alaska! I have been there 4 or 5 times and I cannot get enough, but I suppose that winters are a different thing!
I would consider a trade since I doubt you will find it up there! What do you have to trade? Moose or carabou antler or something burled that is only Alaska? Let me know. Alice

jwoodwright

Alice, Antler is big bucks, oh my, a pun...[:D] You can get top dollar on the Asian Market. Those that don't keep them, sell them.
I no longer hunt, lottery system. Like I type, poke and hope. Pay and hope... All I can come up with is Good Alaskan Birch with some nice contrasting grain...[:)]

200511611735_Birch%20and%20Projects%20001.jpg
<br />

Gregory Huey

Check the locale cabinet or counter top shops in your area. most will give you the material in exchange for a pen & pencil set.
When a shop by me makes a top for a custpmer they give me the off fall and I make a pen set from it and they give the set to their customer. I am left with the rest of the material. I use to be in the businss and avonite is not as popular as corian. You may have to check a few shops.

elody21

Thanks John,
I think I'll pass. I bought a bunch of carabou and moose antler up there a couple of years ago. Didn't seem like too much $? Thanks anyway.

elody21

It was a store down town Anchorage. I think it had a talking Moose or maybe bear just inside of the store ? Funny I just found the bag cleaning out the closet and threw it away 2 days ago ! It had the name of the place on it. I also bought a lot of mammoth and walrus ivory there. I believe the older lady that was there was actually orginally from my area. The name Holly is written on the end of one of my ivory pieces. I hope this helps. The store looked like an old Ben Franklin or variety store on the inside.
I also got some near a knife place but that was out near Sitka

elody21

I just found the card in my purse. Alaska General Store on 4th. Ave. Anchorage!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom