Avoiding stop/start nature of TBC

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Tiger

I've found TBC to be an accurate system for turning pens and avoiding the hassles that arise with using bushings that are inaccurate, out of round etc. The one thing I don't like much about it is the constant stop/starting the lathe to check measurements, this is amplified if use a CA finish as that will require even more stopping and starting of the lathe. In the past I've used outside calipers to turn to tenons when woodturning as i think it's difficult to use the digital calipers while the lathe is running. I guess we all learn to live with the constant measuring but I'm not sure that the constant stopping and starting of a lathe with electronic variable speed is good for the longevity of the lathe. Getting a seamless transition from the barrels to the pen parts is critical and is worth the extra time but sometimes I just find it a bit tedious to do the constant checking, be nice to fast track it a little.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Dan Masshardt

I almost never measure If I do I measure my components and compare to my tbc bushings If the are on or darn close I never measure again on that pen why would I

There seems to be a growing camp of measure only no bushings I am decidedly NOT in that camp I find that TBC bushings are the best way to go for me.

toddlajoie

I have TBC bushings for the kits I do most often (Sierra, Jr.s Cigars, Barons, Slims, Zens), and use them to ballpark the blank close to size (usually around .3 or .4 oversize) before I take the bushings off and go strait TBC. After that, unfortunately, it is stop and start from there with measuring in between, That's just the nature of TBC for me, and eventually you will get a feel for how much materials you are taking off, so you know how to approach the blank if you are still .2 oversize (still a lot to take off) versus .05 oversize... (time to sand if acrylic or friction finish, a little more to take off if doing CA..)

Learning what it's like to take .01 off of an acrylic blank will give you a good idea of how much you are taking off at any point in time.

I don't have a VS lathe, and never considered the wear and tear of starting/stopping.

TonyL

In the beginning, when I first started using TBC bushings, I had to measure often, and I did feel it was a PITN. The more familiar I have become with the kits and TBC bushings, I barely measure at at all. I would like the to last forever, but I am sure it will have its own life depending on how much I use/abuse it. Good question!

plano_harry

Yes, get some tpc bushings. I rarely turn without them. I am concerned about the taper flaring the tube, so I can't put much pressure on. The bushings solve that.

Top Bottom