Australian woods

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

mick

I've just bid on a couple of auctions on ebay one a Whitetop burl I googled and found out about. The other was Curly Black Myall. I searched and haven't found anything on it....Anybody familar with it? Looks a lot like African Blackwood with sapwood.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

bobskio2003

I don't know if this is totally correct as common names can mean a lot of different things. I believe that White Top is also known as Tasmanian Oak, white top stringybark, woolybutt, stringy gum or alpine ash. It is a eucalyptus (delegatensis). I believe that Myall is an Acacia (pendula) and is thus sometimes called Weeping Acacia. Hope this helps. Bob I.

PenPal

Aussie Burls,if you want a very pleasant surprise check out www.burlsdownunder.com ,this young man has the best selection and knowledge of burl I have yet seen.He sells to the USA and sells on E Bay,Have ordered 200 just now myself,I am amazed. Peter

PenPal

Bob 1,
While I was one finger tapping my reply you submitted the answer Euc Delegatensis,my floor in our house is stamped underneath Tasmanian Oak and in a former life I was a Tech Officer Photographer with CSIRO. Commonwealth Scientific Industrial Research Office a large semi Govt Dept in the Forestry Area.
These trees grow in sight of my home on the high hills at a very particular height above sea level,and I had been commissioned to take pics of them.Be assured I never noyiced any Burl then but I will sure look carefully next time.They are a majestic,tall tree and the timber,called as you said by various names makes excellent furniture,fixtures and fittings,coloured light brown to dark brown,takes a top finish and is very stable. Peter

mick

pwhay,
Well I won the curly Black Myall for .99 ....lol. shipping will eat that up tho. I failed to win the White Top. I'm not sure it's the same as the flooring your talking about as the burls are apparently full of voids and need to be filled. Of course the voids may be exclusive to the burl. Anyway here's a picture of it....sweet looking blanks. I hate I didn't check back on the auction.

200752111141_2428_1.jpg
<br />

Also I'll check out the link you posted ....I love the "down Under" woods and am alway on the lookout for sources.
Thanks

Buzz

Tasmanian Oak is a very common timber in Australia and is used for a lot of furniture and flooring. The vast majority of it is quite plain, but more spectacular curly sections are quite special. The timber gets marketed under all sorts of names here, eg. Tasmanian Oak, Victorian Ash, Mountain Ash and Tasmanian Eucalyptus etc. I think that the first three are actually slightly different species; however the difference would only be relevant to a botanist and certainly not a woodworker. If you look at the burlsdownunder site, what is described as “Curly Eucalypt†is almost certainly Tasmanian Oak too.

I remember reading somewhere that there is around 600 different eucalypts in Australia, so always expect confusion! Especially as similar looking trees get entirely different common names from state to state.

As Bob says, the Myall will be an acacia which is almost certain to be a glorious timber. Here in Western Australia, the most commonly used Myall for craft work is “Western Myall†(Acacia papyrocarpa) which is a very hard but beautifully coloured and figured timber. I’d be surprised if many acacias ever got big enough to form burls worth collecting, what you may have is the root ball.

alamocdc

Originally posted by pwhay
<br />Aussie Burls,if you want a very pleasant surprise check out www.burlsdownunder.com ,this young man has the best selection and knowledge of burl I have yet seen.He sells to the USA and sells on E Bay,Have ordered 200 just now myself,I am amazed. Peter

Mark is a member here and offers specials in the classifieds from time to time. I've ordered from him several times and have never been disappointed.

youngturner

Hi guys was just looking through the forum and came across this thread. Yes I am the seller of the blanks in question. Its also known as Eucalypt gum vein burl make sure you have sharp tools and CA the finished pens can look awesome. the curly myall is an acacia its very dense and will turn well with sharp tools will also take a very high gloss finish. BTW i have just posted a thread with some blanks i have on sale please see the individual classifieds section if interested. includes some of the whitetop.

cheers.
Mark.

mick

Originally posted by youngturner
<br />Hi guys was just looking through the forum and came across this thread. Yes I am the seller of the blanks in question. Its also known as Eucalypt gum vein burl make sure you have sharp tools and CA the finished pens can look awesome. the curly myall is an acacia its very dense and will turn well with sharp tools will also take a very high gloss finish. BTW i have just posted a thread with some blanks i have on sale please see the individual classifieds section if interested. includes some of the whitetop.

cheers.
Mark.

Mark, I hope you don't mind that I used your picture of the White Top. I am looking forward to getting the Black Myall tho ....it looks awesome!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom