Australian Tasmanian Blackwood

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

PenPal

Following comment recently re Aussie Blackwood this board is two feet wide by six feet long. The figured grain is consistently wild, straight off the saw, it has been sliced to 1/4 inch sheets for instrument making. The pic taken in daylight with no moisture or oil or any coating.

This timber is a delight to turn in pen blanks take care not to burn your drill it is tough and beautiful.

Furniture made from this timber is very special and commands highest prices.

Fegards Peter.

Attachments

• DSCF0006.JPG
    DSCF0006.JPG
    91.6 KB · Views: 206
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
You are right about it being tough... I did a pepper mill and salt shaker from the Tas blackwood... turned out beautifully, but I had a hard time drilling for the mill.... my forstner was a little dull and even after sharpening it I still got a little burn on the inside of the mill. I think it took me nearly 30 minutes to drill the mill body and it's only about 6 high... the salt shaker is about 4 and that took a little less time as the drill bit was sharper and a little smaller.

PenPal

altaciii

The pic was promised when comment was being directed that Blackwood Melanoxin in particular was suggested as unworthy timber for pens etc. Knowing as we all do in Australia the great beauty of Blackwood especially from Tasmania I thought you would like to see a sample of the figure.

Seasons greetings from this part of Australia. Peter.

NewLondon88

Local Chapter Leader
Peter, someone sent me a few blanks of the blackwood in a trade a couple of
years ago. It is stunning in person. Some looked curly, some was fiddleback.
If you do decide to sell any, keep me in mind.

JerrySambrook

As for the post title, just hope that no Tasmanians see you calling their stuff Australian, and No Australians see you call their stuff Tasmanian.:eek:
At least you did not include New Zealand.:tongue:

That would be as bad as comparing the United States, and Canada.:redface:
Or saying that New Yorkers and the rest of the states are equal.:biggrin:

Hey Everyone, Have a Merry Christmas, Happy Chanukah and great Holiday Season in general. Even those frfom New York and New Hampshire

Kalai

Hi Peter, you are right it is a great looking wood and is worthy of use not only for pens but many other things, the looks of this wood is very much like it cousin Hawaiian Koa.
I have worked some Hawaiian grown Australian Blackwood and I would love to get some more. Here in Hawaii the best curly Koa sells for $75-150 per board foot and there is a very limited supply so I think Australian Tasmanian Blackwood would make a great substitute for Koa, how much does Australian Tasmanian Blackwood cost over there for the best curly stuff??
Aloha

Chris

Top Bottom