Australian Pen Kits

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

stilgar

My wife and I were visiting a woodshop that I frequent and he decided to sell pen blanks. Not bad priced and a number of Australian woods.

She bought his initial lot (somewhere around 200 - 300 blanks). The woods that she found are:

Queensland Tea Tree
Forest Redgum
Queensland Blackwood
Bendee
Ironwood
Swamp Mahogany
Wilga
Grey Ironbark
Quinine
Soapwood
Brigalow
Sheoak
River Oak
Bull Oak
Thozelt's Box

Now I am going to be forced to go out and turn a few pens.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

angboy

I knew that quinine sounded familiar, so I did a quick search, and was reminded that it's the name of a medicine used to treat and prevent malaria! Just an interesting little fact.

Here is the side effect list, just so you can be watchful when you're turning it! [:D][:D]

Tell your doctor if any of these symptoms are severe or do not go away:

stomach pain
vomiting
stomach upset
dizziness
headache
sweating
restlessness
confusion
apprehension

If you experience any of the following symptoms, call your doctor immediately:

skin rash
difficulty breathing
swelling of the face
fever
vision problems or changes
difficulty hearing or ringing in the ears
faintness
easy bruising
unusual bleeding
sore throat
fast heartbeat
chest pain

Unfortunately, a lot of them could be seen while turning any wood! (like apprehension, difficulty hearing (although that one happens just by virtue of someone being male...), fast heartbeat) [}:)][}:)] So be extra careful!

stilgar

I am in the process of setting the blanks up so I can take a few pictures. He gave me the species name also so I can record it.

I did not see any blanks on his site, but if you go to http://www.woodworks.com.au and send him an email. Tell him that Brian sent you and maybe he will give me a break on something.[:D]

I am sure he will let you know when he gets more, that is if my wife does not buy him out again [:)][:p][}:)][;)][^]

As for the spouse training, I think my wife buys me tools and blanks to keep me out in the workshop. That way she can send the kids out with me and have the house to herself! I wonder who is training who. [?]

Originally posted by stilgar
<br />
Queensland Tea Tree
If memory serves, which it doesn't seem to nearly enough these days, Tea Tree is Melaleuca. Which is now very common in South Florida and in the peninsula, and is considered a highly invasive and aggresive plant. The state has an irradication program going on for it last I heard.

The Tea Tree is what produces Tea Tree oil, which can be used as an antibacterial and an antifungal. In WWI Tea Tree oil was bottled and given to Australian soldiers in lieu of alchohol for their first-aid kits(at least that is what history sites portend). It can be added to skin lotions & creams, used in soaps... However it is toxic to cats.

Perhaps someone in the southern part of Florida could make supplying the wood easier if it turns well and has nice grain and pattern. However as there are no local insects or fungus agents for the tree in Florida the grain of the invasive domestic variety may look plain.

Randy_

Originally posted by angboy
<br />I knew that quinine sounded familiar.....

DSA: Just a touch in a gin and tonic makes for a wonderfully refreshing beverage on a hot summer day!! Since G&T was originally a British concoction, wouldn't surprise me if the Brits in the colonies added a touch for its medicinal benefits??

BTW, a few of those symptoms will show upo with one too many G&Ts.[:D]

stilgar

Originally posted by Glass Scratcher
If memory serves, which it doesn't seem to nearly enough these days, Tea Tree is Melaleuca. Which is now very common in South Florida and in the peninsula, and is considered a highly invasive and aggresive plant. The state has an irradication program going on for it last I heard.

A lot of the australian woods have names from other places. I was told that they called the trees what was simular.

stilgar

You know, I was just thinking that if anyone wants some blanks, I could try to find them and send them on. You just have to pay for shipping and my cost. If you are interested, send me an email.

stilgar

Well, I was finally able to get some pictures and upload them to this site. Here is one I made with the Soapwood

200631234426_Soapwood.jpg
<br />

I have more images in my photo album.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom