Australian Curly Gum with attitude...!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

robutacion

Hi everyone,

About 18 months ago I was given the opportunity to cut down a few of some large branches of this humongous Curly Gum, growing just a few meters from the highway at this property drive way, and overhanging over the road more than it should so, I got a couple of major limbs down.

This has the only Curly gum I had to work with, some logs up to 16" diameter so I cut it all up so that it would dry quick. Some of this Curly gum has already been made into pens and many other type turnings quite successfully, not without wasting lots of wood from cracks developing as it dried. In fact, one would could it, wood "tearing" apart while drying, the heavy curls in the grain, completely tear/separate the wood tissue, creating a corrugate pattern as a result.

About 6 or 8 months ago, the property owners decided to open the driveway or should I say, the property entrance from the road side, a lot wider and the humongous Curl Gum tree was now in the way and had to come down completes. I was happy that I could have the largest portions of the tree but I got my work a lot more complicated because of its proximity to the busy highway and the large branches overhanging over it.

Anyway, I got it down, without any accidents (some planning required, here...!) and I got the the but of the tree, only to realise that, and it couldn't be seen before due to the tall grass and the creeper plants growing around this tree, a large portion of the trunk/butt was actually buried 2/3 under ground, and parallel to to it.

It was strange how this tree created this 6' or so butt flat with the ground before it did shut up, obviously that didn't compromise the tree structure or stability as it was there for well over 100 years...!
This large log had to go as the ground was going to be levelled to the existent road and this large "log" was stuck 2" down into the soil and 1" up from ground level.

After some serious digging, we manage to cut as much as we could but we never got the the root. I noticed then that the wood was half rotten, that was quite a surprise as the tree looked very healthy, right to that point (trunk laying on the ground). I was also strange that the rotten wood was in pockets, quite noticeable on the chainsaw when cutting though it.

I kept these pieces under cover since and a few days ago I had the re-arrange some space for the Platypus burl so, I decided to get a big chunk out of the Curly Gum and take it to the bandsaw for some slicing. There were areas beyond salvaging but, and as I went I found some interesting areas within the slices I was cutting that did deserve some more closer attention.

The nature of the Curly Gum wood, being curly obviously, had created a interesting pattern/figure in between the dead wood and the green(ish) wood, and to bring all that up into context, I cut a few pen blanks and made a couple of samples, one with almost dead wood but still quite workable and one with some pockets/veins of the dead wood within some green(ish) wood.

I finished these 2 samples this evening so, what do you thing...???

PS: It seems that while everyone else make pens to see how the woods look like, I have as much fun making my samples out of every bit a get my hands on. I can tell you the samples collection is getting quite large...!:wink:

Cheers
George

Attachments

• 100_0093_(1).jpg
    100_0093_(1).jpg
    280.5 KB · Views: 243
  • 100_0094_(1).jpg
    100_0094_(1).jpg
    279.3 KB · Views: 191
  • 100_0095_(1).jpg
    100_0095_(1).jpg
    279.1 KB · Views: 244
  • 100_0096_(1).jpg
    100_0096_(1).jpg
    279 KB · Views: 259
  • 100_0092_(1).jpg
    100_0092_(1).jpg
    277 KB · Views: 224
  • 100_0089_(1).jpg
    100_0089_(1).jpg
    277.7 KB · Views: 161
  • 100_0090_(1).jpg
    100_0090_(1).jpg
    277 KB · Views: 162
  • 100_0091_(1).jpg
    100_0091_(1).jpg
    276.7 KB · Views: 252
  • 100_0097_(1).jpg
    100_0097_(1).jpg
    286.6 KB · Views: 234
  • 100_0098_(1).jpg
    100_0098_(1).jpg
    281.5 KB · Views: 204
  • 100_0099_(1).jpg
    100_0099_(1).jpg
    281.5 KB · Views: 201
  • 100_0101_(1).jpg
    100_0101_(1).jpg
    283.7 KB · Views: 181
  • 100_0102_(1).jpg
    100_0102_(1).jpg
    286.9 KB · Views: 161
  • 100_0105_(1).jpg
    100_0105_(1).jpg
    294.3 KB · Views: 152
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

dgscott

Hmmmm -- can't see it so well -- maybe you should send me some so I can get a better look!

Seriously -- what beautiful grain -- I've never seen anything quite like it. Congratulations on a great find.
Doug

robutacion

Thanks guys,

The pics are actually from 2 samples only, each blank was photographed on each face, reason why they are numbered.

I certainly agree, the all dead wood blank is something else, some have some white lines thought them, the one shown has one but a small one...!:wink:

As one would expect, the dead wood blanks require some gentle care and handling but the results are phenomenal...!:biggrin:

I should be able to cut 100 or so blanks of the all dead wood and about a similar number of the mixed ones. At the moment I'm just slicing the big log (chunk) into various turning blanks sizes, including a number already cut of these both type blanks. With the hot days starting to hit us already, woods will dry quick, some times too quick with the obvious disadvantages and problems (cracks...!:mad:).

Cheers
George

David Keller

WOW... That first sample blank is unbelievable! I agree with Butch... It's more burly and swirly than curly(say that five times fast). I'm afraid I may want some of that!

robutacion

The first 4 pics look more burly then curly . Fantastic wood !!!

Cheers Butch...!

Yes, it does and the strange thing is that, within the whole tree many different grain patterns are found, in the green on semi-dry wood. I have been playing with different cuts and different pieces from this tree, considering that the whole thing has probably produced 20 or more cubic meters of wood, (lots of firewood here...!:biggrin:)

If I manage to process 1/3 of it as turning or woodworking wood of some nature, for the next few years, I'm certain that, apart from not running out of this type of Curly Gum (there are others...!), some other "treasures" will be found. One that I've been considering, is the main trunk that was about 5 meters long and about 3'+ diameter that I cut in half just to be able to handle it with my winches and trailer.

I would like to get my chainsaw slabber and slice it up in 2" and 4" slabs on the full length, now about 8' or so. I know that, they would worth good money if I could stop them from cracking and tearing all over, the curly grain in these 2 logs should be a dream for some people wanting solid wood kitchen bench tops.

The only way would be to have them taken to a mill with a good kiln facilities, have then slabbed there and put in the kiln immediately. While this is not impossible, the cost of having it/them transported and processed, would cost me a lot more than I could ever afford, and probably even maybe more than what I could sell the slabs by.

So, in the mean time, I just play with many other pieces that I've got from this tree and "discover" new things as I go...!:biggrin:

Is interesting, after so many years looking and working with wood from the ground up, how one can pick-up and or spot things in pieces of wood or logs, sometimes even before they get sliced up. Is like you know is something there, but not sure what tough (most times...!:wink:).

These "surprises" are a never ending in my situation, sometimes I'm not looking for anything special and I'm just happy that I can get some wood for firewood, which we use quite a lot every year (about 4 tone) but, out of nothing, I keep spotting these logs that "need" further inspection...!:wink::biggrin: so the firewood pile doesn't get any bigger but the "inspection" timber pile gets pretty big and out of control (covered space wise).

It looks like I'm complaining, huh...??? believe me. I'm not...!:biggrin::wink:

Here is a small log (some Gum...???) that "walked" into my hands yesterday, I know that come from one of the Gums I cut at mu auto-mechanic's property recently but, the colours are just "bright" and the resin crystals or red liquid (hope not...!) resin, in that piece is certainly deserving a closer look. The centre is completely surrounded by red crystals, will there be crystal pockets...??? not sure, will see when I get to it...!

Enjoy...!

PS: Sure David, that can be arranged easily, huh...???:wink:

Cheers
George

Attachments

• 100_0107_(1).jpg
    100_0107_(1).jpg
    104.7 KB · Views: 156
Last edited:
Top Bottom