Atrax questions??????

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

PenMan1

I love the simple design of the Atrax, but I am hesitant to order them. My hesitation is because my customers prefer postable over non-postable pens about 10-1.

The simple centerband and cap is what draws me toward Atrax!

Has anyone checked to see if other components sets ( say a Jr. gent II or Triton) thread adapter will work in the Atrax centerband?

If so, this would allow me to use my leftover threads sets and end caps (the one set not used when making closed end pens) to modify this hardware into a postable unit.

Thanks for any help!

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Whaler

Andy, it will work. The Atrax uses Jr Gent II bushings so no problem with fit there. I just posted an Atrax cap on a Jr Gent II and no problem there.

Attachments

• DSC_2638.jpg
    DSC_2638.jpg
    11 KB · Views: 176

PenMan1

Thanks for the intel, Dick! This opens up some interesting possibilities for me with "semi-custom" things!

Dick:
If you happen to have a Triton thread coupler laying around, could you check to see which closes smoother: gent II or triton?
Thanks again.

Last edited:

PenMan1

Thanks for checking, Dean!

This information could be useful to many here who make closed in pens! I'm glad I seperated out and saved the Triton and Gent II parts left over from closed ends.

One reason I ask is that the center threads and tail threads of the Gent II are different (more threads on center section).

On the Triton, center and trail threads are VERY SIMILAR, if not exactly the same.

toddlajoie

The only issue I can see is platings. I'm not sure about other vendors, but the only Atrax's I've seen are only available in Chrome and "upgrade" gold (not sure what that means exacty...) but the Jr Gent is not available in chrome, and their 10K gold has the black enamel threads. The triton is available in chrome and gold (no specifics on K..) So the Triton would be the nicest choice for threads, assuming they work smoothly. Of course I'm betting you have a lot of spare JGII end caps, rather than the tritons as the JGIIs have been around a lot longer...

alphageek

Former Moderator
Disclaimer: The below results were done just by swapping pieces around to see what "felt " smooth by swapping part between kits (IE no guarantees on exact pitch):
1) Cap onto portable end and/or nib end:
- Jr Gent II is the odd man out. It can't fit on a Triton nor an Atrax.
- I could swap a Triton and an Atrax cap no problem. If you have Triton portable ends around they seem fine to use for a Atrax IMO.

2) Swapping nib sections:
- All 3 appear to be exactly the same TPI. The threads seem "taller" in some than others, but they all seem to thread onto each other ok. Seems ok to me to swap.

3) Non-postable screw on end.
- No Triton version.
- Threads on JR GentII seen to match the Atrax (surprising since the rest of the JR is the odd man.

So... In summary, if you want to make a Atrax postable - I believe that you could do so with a Triton end piece. No guarantees as this was done by "feel", not measurement so MYYV, but I believe it will work.

PenMan1

Disclaimer: The below results were done just by swapping pieces around to see what "felt " smooth by swapping part between kits (IE no guarantees on exact pitch):
1) Cap onto portable end and/or nib end:
- Jr Gent II is the odd man out. It can't fit on a Triton nor an Atrax.
- I could swap a Triton and an Atrax cap no problem. If you have Triton portable ends around they seem fine to use for a Atrax IMO.

2) Swapping nib sections:
- All 3 appear to be exactly the same TPI. The threads seem "taller" in some than others, but they all seem to thread onto each other ok. Seems ok to me to swap.

3) Non-postable screw on end.
- No Triton version.
- Threads on JR GentII seen to match the Atrax (surprising since the rest of the JR is the odd man.

So... In summary, if you want to make a Atrax postable - I believe that you could do so with a Triton end piece. No guarantees as this was done by "feel", not measurement so MYYV, but I believe it will work.

THANKS, Dean!
You confirmed what I really needed to know. I CAN make Atrax postables by using Triton ends left over from kitless builds!

The Triton "threads" come two in a bag with two trim rings ( and because I've never had problems by using one thread coupler (instead of the other), I assume the two Triton thread couplers are identical? I think you just confirmed this!!!!

Since you are are moderator, would it be possible to make a new emoticom...one with a smiley face inside a tent....CAUSE THAT'S WHAT I AM.....HAPPY CAMPER:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

Top Bottom