Atrax Postable Finial Modification Parts

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

LL Woodworks

I tried the "Postable Finial Atrax" modification available from some of our vendors and am somewhat disappointed. The bushing sets for the Atrax are as follows: Cap Bushings both are .566" dia. The barrel bushings are .510" dia for the nib end and .480" dia for the finial end. The stop ring for the "Postable Finial" coupler is .510" dia - thus a mis-fit with the bushing for that end of the barrel. Needles to say this destroys the fit. For these mod pieces to work both barrel ends must be turned to .510" dia. There was no note to this effect in any product description (that I saw). Now I have to attempt to dis-assemble the finial end and replace the mod pieces with the stock finial - GURRR:mad: Moral of this story - use the calipers before turning.

Attachments

• tn_DSCN0491.JPG
    tn_DSCN0491.JPG
    34.6 KB · Views: 220
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Hey Lynn!!

There was no note to that effect because I did NOT KNOW it!! My sincere apologies and I will be contacting Berea to "inquire".

Meanwhile, anyone who wants to return the pieces, we will take them back and pay for shipping---they are NOT "as described"!! Just PM or email me and we will work out details!!

ghostrider

Yes, thank you for sharing that. I haven't gone through mine yet, but I'll have to remember this when I do use them. The postable option is a great idea for the Atrax, and I'm glad they came out with them.

PenMan1

Try using the TRITON BUSHINGS for the bottom barrel. I've been making postable Atrax ever since the Atrax was introduced. Alpha geek and I did some experimenting and found that the Triton threads matched the Atrax exactly.

When using the modification "kit" or in my case, Triton rings and threads, the Triton bushings get you closer to a precision fit. BUT, EVEN WITH TRITON BUSHINGS, the most precise fit is to make actual caliper measurement at the joints and finish to those measurements.

Respectfully submitted.

Carl Fisher

I've learned to always use calipers, even when I have the right bushings. Take your measurement before turning and check that against the bushing. If it's accurate, then go with it. If not then you know to stop early (or late) and check the final dimension with the caliper.

Carl Fisher

Oh, and if your barrel is tapered at all, You should be able to get away with sanding a bit off that end until you expose the correct diameter. Hard to tell from the picture how much that might set you back but you can always shorten the spring a touch if needed to release some of the pressure.

Just a little tip that might save the final product.

brownsfn2

I just assumed they were a different size and I measured them. Of course I have been burned by bushings so much in the past. I usually either mistakenly sand, skew, or scrape my bushings and they lose their accuracy. So now I just turn final dimensions between centers and measure all kits myself. I can understand the frustration but as Carl says you can always shorten the barrel a bit. Or build with CA. I have had to build a coat of .030 with CA before. :)

LL Woodworks

Hey Lynn!!

There was no note to that effect because I did NOT KNOW it!! My sincere apologies and I will be contacting Berea to "inquire".

Meanwhile, anyone who wants to return the pieces, we will take them back and pay for shipping---they are NOT "as described"!! Just PM or email me and we will work out details!!
Thanks Ed, I think I'll keep mine now that I know and can adjust accordingly. Actually I have 2 sets of bushings so the adjustment isn't difficult, the pen simply will not have the .030" taper as designed.

Thanks again Ed and for all you do for us pen makers!

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Conversation with Berea was very cooperative! They will be communicating with the manufacturing facility and we should have a "resolution" by the end of the week.

PenMan1

Oops! I gave bad information here! I was in the shop today and realized that I was NOT USING Triton bushing for my ATRAX postables, but instead using my own "mismashed" bushings.

I keep Jr. Gent Bushings, Triton/Atrax , and Jr Majestic bushings all in the same bin. Since I use calipers for fitting, and because Jr Majestic looks so different, I saw no harm for ME, but in retrospect, after looking and notes, my Atrax postables could VERY WELL have been made with bushings from 3 different sets!

I'm very sorry! I should have confirmed before posting.

LL Woodworks

Oops! I gave bad information here! I was in the shop today and realized that I was NOT USING Triton bushing for my ATRAX postables, but instead using my own "mismashed" bushings.

I keep Jr. Gent Bushings, Triton/Atrax , and Jr Majestic bushings all in the same bin. Since I use calipers for fitting, and because Jr Majestic looks so different, I saw no harm for ME, but in retrospect, after looking and notes, my Atrax postables could VERY WELL have been made with bushings from 3 different sets!

I'm very sorry! I should have confirmed before posting.
Forgiven !:)

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Conversation with Berea was very cooperative! They will be communicating with the manufacturing facility and we should have a "resolution" by the end of the week.

The replacement parts arrived today!!!!

HOOORAYYYY, Berea!!!!!!

No argument, just understand the problem and FIX it!!!

Thank you Jim and Joe!!!

Top Bottom