Atrax postable finial

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Rink

Just a heads up for anyone considering the postable finial for the Atrax rollerball kit. It's available separately from the Atrax kit itself. I believe it was $3.95. A great option for me because I like the Atrax kit...heavy and classy without too much bling, very masculine in my opinion. And I like postable. But...

Unexpectedly...the postable finial increases the length of the pen barrel slightly. I like the length, but it's too long for the refill. So the refill just rattles around and does not protrude from the nib as it should.

By my measurement, the additional length is 0.2210" (or 7/32 or 5.61mm). My solution will be to make a plug that length and epoxy it inside the finial before installing the spring. That should fix it.

Shouldn't be a problem for the fountain pen, just the rollerball.

I love the Atrax and I like postable. If you do also, go for it, but just be ready to do some of your own modification.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

TonyL

This may one of the dumbest suggestions that I ever made....how about a longer spring? I know it is from the opposite end, but just as the bolt action has a spring that is almost twice as long as the standard Parker-style spring to accommodate the design. I know there are spring companies out there (not just for pen making use), and an RB spring is wider and sometimes cone-shaped. Again, I may be missing something more than what I am usually missing. LOL.

Alex D

The Atrax is one of my favorites too. I love the clean lines. Hopefully we can get a postable gunmetal version someday.

Anyway, I make a lot of them and Tony has the right idea, except it's even easier than replacing the spring. All you have to do is stretch the spring a until you get the protrusion you like.

Cheers,
Alex

TonyL

Please measure the height of the current spring and widest part. I will try to find a spring and them order them.

jondavidj

Have you tried taking the spring out and then turning it around to where the smallest end goes in first? On the Retro's, I like the longer Aaron tubes but the same thing occurs, the spring is not long enough. So I take the spring all the way out and then turn it around. It is a tight fit, but the rollerball works and never had an issue after that. If I remember correctly, the non-postable end cap for the Atrax has the spring inside already instead of a separate spring so it may work the same way. At first I tried to lengthen the spring, but the rollerball kept going in and out. I did this method and it has worked pretty well.

Hope that helps!

JD

Terredax

Banned
Maybe I misread the problem causing this but, couldn't the barrel be shortened the amount of the difference between end caps? Just shorten the barrel 7/32" to compensate?
Just slap me if I didn't understand the problem and my suggestion wouldn't work.

Rink

Hey folks, I finally got a bit of time to get back to this discussion. Sorry for the delay. Thanks for all the ideas and comments.

Tony: Yep a longer spring is a good solution, Ed suggested also, but I didn't know where to look locally and didn't want to wait on ordering one. But after thinking about it more, I think that's what I should do for this one. The stock spring w/ the Atrax kit is 0.3075" (39/128 or 7.81mm) long. Widest end is 0.2360" (15/64 or 5.99mm). Narrower end is 0.1825" (23/128 or 4.64mm). I'm no engineer or machinist for sure, those measurements with my handy HF $14 digital micrometer. Replacement springs I keep on hand are a bit different…L 0.4320", W1 0.2250", W2 0.1510". Longer, but still not long enough.

Alex: Yes, Ed at Exoticblanks also suggested stretching the spring. But I was afraid it wouldn't provide adequate compression after stretching. So I decided to make a plug. But that's a lot of work.

Jon: Yes, sir, I turned the spring around and no improvement. It fits all the way in the end of the finial either way. Also, I checked a couple of the Atrax kits I have on hand and the spring was not pre-installed in the finial, but was just loose in the package. I don't know if that's always the case, just on the two I checked.

John: Yes, I could shorten the barrel. The postable finial is actually the same one used on the Triton kit. So I would shorten the barrel to same length as the Triton. But I like the longer length of the Atrax for myself (this pen was for me). Yes, I should have figured all this out ahead of time…since I chose the Atrax for it's length in the first place. Oh well. Going forward, this will probably be my solution for Atrax with postable finial. Since it will be postable, the longer length isn't that important. And I will probably want to have some longer springs on hand in case I need to make it to stock length.

Great discussion, thanks again.
Tony, let me know if those measurements need clarification.

Fireengines

You guys are over engineering this. All I do is take the plastic tip off the rollerball refill, cut it to fit the postable finial. Once you got the length right, you can glue it in or not.

Problem solved.

Unlike this one, you should square it up.

Attachments

• spring fix.jpg
    spring fix.jpg
    30 KB · Views: 84
Last edited:

TonyL

Hey folks, I finally got a bit of time to get back to this discussion. Sorry for the delay. Thanks for all the ideas and comments.

Tony: Yep a longer spring is a good solution, Ed suggested also, but I didn't know where to look locally and didn't want to wait on ordering one. But after thinking about it more, I think that's what I should do for this one. The stock spring w/ the Atrax kit is 0.3075" (39/128 or 7.81mm) long. Widest end is 0.2360" (15/64 or 5.99mm). Narrower end is 0.1825" (23/128 or 4.64mm). I'm no engineer or machinist for sure, those measurements with my handy HF $14 digital micrometer. Replacement springs I keep on hand are a bit different…L 0.4320", W1 0.2250", W2 0.1510". Longer, but still not long enough.

Alex: Yes, Ed at Exoticblanks also suggested stretching the spring. But I was afraid it wouldn't provide adequate compression after stretching. So I decided to make a plug. But that's a lot of work.

Jon: Yes, sir, I turned the spring around and no improvement. It fits all the way in the end of the finial either way. Also, I checked a couple of the Atrax kits I have on hand and the spring was not pre-installed in the finial, but was just loose in the package. I don't know if that's always the case, just on the two I checked.

John: Yes, I could shorten the barrel. The postable finial is actually the same one used on the Triton kit. So I would shorten the barrel to same length as the Triton. But I like the longer length of the Atrax for myself (this pen was for me). Yes, I should have figured all this out ahead of time…since I chose the Atrax for it's length in the first place. Oh well. Going forward, this will probably be my solution for Atrax with postable finial. Since it will be postable, the longer length isn't that important. And I will probably want to have some longer springs on hand in case I need to make it to stock length.

Great discussion, thanks again.
Tony, let me know if those measurements need clarification.

Got it. I am on it. Thank you.

You know what is funny, I can't find a postable Atrax rollerball, not even on Berea's site.

TonyL

Woops, just read your first sentence, about the postable option. Sorry.

Not for nothing, but for $4, they should include the correct spring size.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
No, we don't have a spring specifically for that purpose. I DID spend a couple days online looking for springs, before we started stocking the ones we have, from Asia.

I was amazed at the high cost of US made springs. (You will want a spring with slightly less than .25" diameter)

I am comfortable with the idea of the dowel. But, certainly a longer stronger spring is a fine choice, too.

mecompco

You know what is funny, I can't find a postable Atrax rollerball, not even on Berea's site.

Exotic Blanks sells them as an option. I've been putting them on my Atrax FPs (never though about the spring issue as I've not done an Atrax RB yet).

TonyL

Thank you Michael; I missed that when I first commented.

Separately,there is no shortage of spring companies.
I will call one tomorrow that appears to carry a broad inventory.

Rink

UPDATE: I found a spring at Lowes that works great.

Since Lowes is just around the corner and it was a nice day, my wife and I decided to check there. I never dreamed they'd have a spring exactly right for this application, but they did!

We…er, actually my wife…found them on the fasteners aisle, on a pegboard wall across from the drawers where they keep the unusual fasteners and parts. A very small blue plastic bag package containing 4 springs, all the same size. They had only a few compression springs, but many of the [whatever you call the kind that pulls instead of pushes…contraction?] kind.

Brand was Resorte, size 7/32" x 1-5/8" x .015". Back of the package shows UPC 38902 00239, and an identifier "H# 543041". I think it was $2.48. I cut one in half, put the cut end in toward the end of the finial, and it works great.

Now I have a couple great options…cut the barrel shorter or use these alternate springs.

Thanks everyone for your ideas. I love the IAP!

Top Bottom