Atomized metal powder

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

jimr

A few posts below, Anthony mentioned a link to a site that carries casting resins and other stuff. One thing they had was "atomized metal powders" They have several kinds and colors available. The price per pound was very low considering the price of similar stuff in our catalogs. Has anyone tried using this stuff with CA to fill holes or cracks, etc.? It may not be what I am thinking but if it is there is a definite cost savings.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

btboone

I have not tried that. I get some fine titanium dust when carving rings. I wonder if that could work. Sounds like something to experiment with.

Gary

It might work fine. One thing to remember is when using powders like that, once you fill the void, remember not to drop the CA on it. Place a drop on the edge of the void and let it wick into the powder. I found that out the hard way. I dropped it onto the powder, and it was like a bowling ball hitting a mud puddle

elocyar

This is a technique used by Brandon Mackie, a turner in Denver, CO. He uses it to fill cracks in bowls and as inlay material. He has used a number of powdered metals. He did mention that Bronze will not soak up the CA. He also places the CA right on the edge of the wood metal border. Then sands the bump down so the metal/CA material is at the same height as the wood.

Cheers
Ray

PenWorks

I order several bottles of the powders, I used them in a couple of casts. The one resin labled, Bronzo is an atomized powder mixed in the resiin. I have not used it to fill a void, but I am sure it will work. 1 bottle would last you a life time if you just filled voids. Assuming they are not all like the Grand Canyon, LOL

Anthony

jimr

Thanks for the info and great tips. The site is WWW.arstuf.com
Click on atomized metal powder. The smallest amount listed is 1lb. They have 8 different powders and sells for $5.50 to $12.50/lb. A pound of this stuff should go a long way. I may just have to try a pound.

btboone

I thought of this post last night as I was grinding down the gold in an inlay ring. I have a whole bag of gold dust that I had completely forgotten about. Doh! That should only work better than the titanium because it's a lot finer and will contrast more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom