Atlas or Polaris

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.
I've noticed lots of pictures of the "Atlas" and the "Polaris" pens posted. Polaris seem to be in the majority. Except for the knurling on the cap and the available finishes (or lack thereof) available they look identical to me. Is there any specific reason why one seems favoured over the other? I've made one Atlas and would like to make more but am unsure of which ones to do. Are there any advantages to one over the other? What say you and why, Atlas or Polaris[?]
Thanks

OOPS -- forgot to mention the Patriot[:I]

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

rlh

My reason for choosing the Atlas is because I get them from Arizona Silhoutte which is the only source that I know of that sells them and has the best price I have found for that style pen. I personally think the Atlas Pen is a great pen. It shows off the wood nicely and I find it comfortable to write with as does my better half who, along with me has arthritis. You can find the web address for Arizona Silhoutte on the IAP home page.[:D][:D]

Old Griz

Passed Away Oct 4, 2013
In Memoriam
I prefer the Atlas for two reasons... I find the mechanism to be smoother and there is a greater choice of platings...
And this is only my personal opinion, but I am not a big fan of PSI kits in general... so I tend to not use them...

alamocdc

George, it is indeed unfortunate that the Polaris only comes in three finishes. One of the nice things about it is that you can get a matching pencil kit for it. Not so with the Atlas, at least that I've seen. Can't answer for the Patriot.

Old Griz

Passed Away Oct 4, 2013
In Memoriam
Originally posted by alamocdc
<br />George, it is indeed unfortunate that the Polaris only comes in three finishes. One of the nice things about it is that you can get a matching pencil kit for it. Not so with the Atlas, at least that I've seen. Can't answer for the Patriot.
You don't need to buy a pencil kit for the Atlas because you can do it yourself... you can see the directions here
http://www.arizonasilhouette.com/Pen_Kit_Instructions.htm
Just scroll down to the bottom of the Atlas kit directions...

ctEaglesc

Passed Away Jul 4, 2008
In Memoriam
The executive from PSI is similar to either of the 2 you mentioned.
A more "retro" look and a little more sleek.
It is still a single piece tube/blank. 3/8ths tube but not as "clunky"
Some care for the "clunkyness" I don't.

Sorry to have taken so long to acknoledge the replies. Well, nobody seems to find any faults with the Atlas and it appears the pencil question can be overcome easily. Because the mechanism is very smooth and the many plating choices I'll probably stay with the Atlas. Griz, I think I'll also try the mod for the pencil.
Thanks again

James,
I just measured an Atlas and Cigar that I made:
Atlas - cap to nib 4.85", .58" at widest about the middle (slight bulge) and weight is 38 grams. Made with macassar ebony.
Cigar - cap to nib 5.6", lower barrel .55" at widest, upper barrel .6" at widest, CB measures .58", clip measures .5" and weight is 52.5 grams. Made with cocobolo. Both upper and lower barrel have only a slight bulge.
Measurements were taken with a dial type caliper and not a micrometer so they could be out a few thous but should be close.
Hope that helps, George[:)]

Edit:
The nib on the Atlas measues .45" and the cap measures .51" (the smooth part not the knurled part)[:)]

JimGo

Originally posted by Fangar
<br />Anyone have a ball park size comparison of the atlas and say a cigar? Length, weight and diameter. Thanks in advance,

James
Does this help?

2005820153845_Inventory%20-%20book%202%20-%20small.jpg
<br />

From L to R they are Polaris, Polaris, Jr. Gent (non-posting), Jr. Gent (posting), Jr. Gent (posting), Jr. Statesman, Gentleman's, Havana.

Fangar

You guys helped me out a lot. Thanks very much. George thanks for taking all the time to weigh and mesaure the two and Jim the picture puts it into perspective. Thanks,

Fangar

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom