Atlas pencil?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

its_virgil

There are instructions in the library on converting a sierra to a pencil. I think any pen that uses the parker refill could possibly be converted using the guidelines in those instructions. The sierra is one of my favorites and so is the pencil conversion. But, as ingeniously clever as the conversion is, I have a difficult time selling them to real pencil users...the reason is: No Eraser. Several of my customers who want pencils don't want the sierra conversion because it is eraserless. But, I still like it and use one all of the time...I have an eraser on my desk for my many mistakes.
Do a good turn daily!
Don
Originally posted by samuel07
<br />Has anyone tried to convert an Atlas kit into a pencil?

Monty

Group Buy Coordinator
Yes, you can do it by one of two methods. You can clip the top off of a Schmidt pencil cartridge or drill the transmission out like in this post http://www.penturners.org/content/SierraPencil1.pdf.

edit: Don and I typed at the same time. This is the method he is referring to.

samuel07

Thanks,

I did my first sierra conversion the other day and I was thinking it should be about the same for the Atlas. I ended up drilling a little too much out od the transmission but just slipped a small section of pnuematic tubing over the end of the mechanism to fix it.

Don / Monty
One question though; when I give a full clockwise twist to the mechanism the lead is released and I can push it back in the pencil, so to extend the lead I give half twists and then turn back to the counter clockwise position and the lead is held firmly. Is this how it works for you?

Monty

Group Buy Coordinator
Originally posted by samuel07
Don / Monty
One question though; when I give a full clockwise twist to the mechanism the lead is released and I can push it back in the pencil, so to extend the lead I give half twists and then turn back to the counter clockwise position and the lead is held firmly. Is this how it works for you?

That's correct

M

Mudder

Old Griz came up with a way to make the Atlas into a pencil and it's posted here: http://www.arizonasilhouette.com/Pen_Kit_Instructions.htm
I have found that if you drill the transmission (twist mechanism) like on the sierra you should not have to cut the top of the pencil mechanism off.

armyturner

I am not sure of your level of creativity or the time that you have available to try to convert the Atlas, but here is another option. The styling for an Atlas and a Polaris is only slightly different. There is a kit for a Polaris pencil. If you don't want to take the chance of ruining an Atlas kit or don't have much time to work on it, why not just buy the Polaris pencil kit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom