Asthma and wood

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

paleydp

I've just recently started turning. My husband is asthmatic. Just wanted to know if there are any woods anyone knows of that I should definitely avoid because of known problems with asthma. I'd rather know ahead of time instead of after an emergency room visit. (I like my husband and would like to keep him around).
Thanks,
Denise

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jeff

Administrator
Staff member
Hi Denise!

Husbands are somewhat useful and generally worth keeping around. I have moderate to severe asthma and have never noticed any particular wood that is a trigger. What is a trigger is dust, including wood dust. A good dust extraction system is a must! I have an Oneida cyclone dust collection system and I love it. http://www.oneida-air.com/

mansfieldpen

Also watch out for Dymondwood, colorwood and the like. Those are nasty and can affect you adversely no matter what. Invest in a good respirator (the kind that cost at least $30.00 or so). I bought one specifically for toxic dust and my allergies have thanked me for it!

- Brent

PensofColor

Denise, my business partner does 90% of our turning, and she cannot turn Cocobolo without using her respirator and our air cleaner. She gets a horrible cough and congestion from just being around the stuff. Deer Antler is also one that you have to wear a respirator to turn.

It's a good idea to use a dust mask with every material, just for insurance.

--Sheila

Daniel

A resporator is good advice for anyone, but they can irritate asthma themselves, their are solutions for this but of course that means more money. He could try the less expensive ones and hopefully they would not cause a problem.

paleydp

Guess it's time to invest in a decent mask - maybe he needs a dust collection system for his birthday! In the meantime, he'll just have to stay in the house while I'm turning.
Thanks,
Denise

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom