Assembly question

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ToddMR

I have noticed on a very few kits parts I have pressed in tend to creep out over time. They include WC slim click, rinehart twist (1 of 2 have done this), guardian click. On the first 2, the top finial seems to work itself upward thus causing the clip to start turning. On the guardian clicks the bottom portion starts to loosen I assume from the constant clicking. I know the tubes are clean I just figure the constant pressure is causing the finials or bottom to start moving outward. I didn't know if most of you secure parts in using titebond or some other form of glue. It may not even be worth me worrying about as I have had so many click failures on the guardian line I am thinking about avoiding the click model altogether. But I like the WC slim click, its a nice little pen. I haven't had this issue with most other kits, and never had used any bonding agent when pressing parts in.

Any opinions on this subject would be appreciated. Of course too, it just might be how those kits react too.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Many of the kits will "work loose" over time.

Peraonally, I wonder why we take such pains to avoid using glue "so we can knock it apart, if we have to".

So, we would rather make a product that is likely to need repair? Why not just make it more durable from the start? (Use glue)

I have had this conversation with a few large, craft-show type customers of ours-- a couple have started using loctite red to "secure" the parts--thus making their pens less likely to "break" (this is what the customers say, when the clip spins).

Food for thought--Ed

arioux

I use red gel locktite. The only reason i don't use glue is i don't want to take the chance to overspill it on my finish. Locktite won't dammage the finish. The gel locktite is very easy to use and spread very nicely with a toothpick.

penhead

Local Chapter Leader
Feeling a bit naive here, but what is Loctite red..??..It isn't glue..??

Peraonally, I wonder why we take such pains to avoid using glue "so we can knock it apart, if we have to".

So, we would rather make a product that is likely to need repair? Why not just make it more durable from the start? (Use glue)

I have had this conversation with a few large, craft-show type customers of ours-- a couple have started using loctite red to "secure" the parts--thus making their pens less likely to "break" (this is what the customers say, when the clip spins).

Food for thought--Ed

penhead

Local Chapter Leader
Never mind...I googled it :)

Feeling a bit naive here, but what is Loctite red..??..It isn't glue..??

Food for thought--Ed

Bobalu

I use red gel locktite. The only reason i don't use glue is i don't want to take the chance to overspill it on my finish. Locktite won't dammage the finish. The gel locktite is very easy to use and spread very nicely with a toothpick.

+1 on the Lock-Tite red. I use the standard viscosity. It bonds relatively fast, but you have plenty of time to wipe off excess that may get on other pen parts.

David M

use red or blue , whatever i have . I use it on the clip end only . I use a little on the flat part of thr clip , top where it connects to clip and in the tube where the cap presses in . and it does wipe off easly .
David

Justturnin

Liking the Locktite idea. I put some Thin CA in the brass and let it dry to close the gap some. Once it is dry I will press my part in.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Any pen that has a spring is under tension. Yet, we press fit parts and expect them to last forever.

I saw many cigar pen nibs that "came off" (I sold a LOT of cigar pens). When we did shows, I was not aware of Loctite and CA left the metal parts looking hazy--now I would use Loctite!

Top Bottom