Assembly problem

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Woodnick43

Has anyone had a problem with the new PSI kits,American Patriot, Southwest and others in this series. I was having trouble with the American Patriot ballpoint pen, the refill is not retracting back all the way. After some fiddling I called PSI tech.dept. seems the assembly instructions in the kit are not correct, the instructions on the web site are correct. The tech. Told me my parts were not lined up and to take a dowel,wrap some sandpaper and sand the inside of the brass tube of the cap end. With the cap end off the pen,operating the transmission everything works fine, with the cap end on it is hard to extend the refill in and out. Did I not sand the tube enough or what???
Any help is greatly appreciated.

CaptainJane

retracting problem

On my PSI Nautical pen, I had the same problem, made much worse when I substituted a better ink refill. My fix was to:

1. Drill out the tip. My bit ALMOST would go thru by hand, so this is very minimal amount.

2. I used a drill bit a few sizes larger than the tip opening (it is still pretty small), and used it to ream out the inside - just barely. You are just trying to clean out any slag on the casting, not change the hole diameter.

I think it is the shoulder on the ink cartridge binding on the inside of the casting, not necessarily the tip that was causing my problem.

Out of the 5 Nautical kits I have made, 4 needed this "cleanup" of the inside tip casting. After that, they worked great..

I hope this helps.

WriteON

Small/mini file kit helps also when adjustment/trimming is needed. Harbor Freight, PSI, Home Depot sells them.

Top Bottom