Assembly

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Fatstrat

Good day all,
Do any of you use an adhesive on parts that are pressed for added security? I put a cigar together the other day, and i am able to completely disassemble it by hand.
If you do, any suggestions?
Thanks

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

stevers

A lot of folks use CA to secure their parts. Especially on the larger kits, like Gents and Barons, etc. Just be very careful, Ca can permanently tarnish platings. Also, if closed up while still curing, the fumes from the CA can smoke or fog the platings. Always be sure your CA has cured completely before closing or sealing the pen up in any cases or boxes.
And remember, a tiny drop goes a long way.

Johnathan

Well, being able to disassemble a pen by hand is not normal Superman, not sure what's going on there. The problem I see with using CA on everything is if something needs to be repaired, refinished, etc. You never know when you are going to get a pen back for some reason or another. Perhaps just a a dot of CA that will hold the parts but break free when needed.

M

monkeynutz

A tiny dab of CA applied with a toothpick to only a concealed metal-to-metal connection point will keep the parts together, but still allow them to be punched apart if needed. Definitely observe the off-gassing recommendations mentioned earlier. What should be more productive is figuring out if you are using parts more out of tolerance than they should be, or if maybe you and your milling tool are getting too frisky with the tubes when you are dressing the ends of the blanks.

Ligget

I glue the parts of every pen I make, either a tiny spot of thick CA on the metal to metal surface applied by cocktail stick.

Before I starting glueing the parts in years ago, my daughter brought her Atlas school pen back to me with the clip loose.

Glad it was not a paying customer though!

As long as you are aware of the CA fumes, I leave refills out for a few days.:)

rherrell

Check your gluing habits. If you get glue in the tubes and then clean it out you might be making the brass too big. The trick is not getting any glue in the tube.

mrcook4570

The friction fit will fail over time. The clip will begin to spin, leaving a nice ring around the barrel and the grip section of screw caps will loosen. I epoxy all parts in place and can still disassemble if necessary.

LanceD

A dab or two of blue Locktite applied with a Q Tip will keep your parts from coming loose and you still can disassemble if needed.

rlharding

What is blue Locktite? I went to my hardware store and saw a blue cardboard backing, I also saw a small blue container with a black top. Is it one of these? I couldn't see anything that was listed as other than permanent yet some have said they use the blue when they know they may want to take a part off in the future.

thanks.

lwalden

Ruth- I buy my blue loctite at the local automotive supply- it's intended to be put on the threads of nuts/bolts to keep them from unthreading once tightened into place. While it does provide additional "security" to our pressure fittings, it's not as difficult to disassemble compared to CA glue, and does not have the negative of clouding or tarnishing the fittings from the outgassing that takes place while CA is curing.

bbqncigars

The blue Loctite is the pre-assembly medium grade stuff. Do NOT use the red (stud grade) unless you intend a permanent assembly. I tend to use the 290 green (post assembly wicking medium grade) in my day job. It only sets up in the absence of oxygen, and wipes easily off of surfaces. I wouldn't get it on porous surfaces, though.

Wayne

Top Bottom