Assembling with J clamp

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

JPW062

Don't do it.
My usual clamp set-up was otherwise occupied, so I went to the clamp rack and selected a J clamp. Several minutes and choice words later I was looking into the bottom half of a Princeton kit at some thoroughly crushed components.
Will be buying an assembly press asap.

Add another to the list of gifts that won't be making it in time for Christmas.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Beautys_Beast

I have the PSI pen press, and was just "Ok" with it, until I bought the pen press mods from BeeAMaker. It is Sooo much better now. Definately an upgrade well worth the few bucks he charges for them.

gtriever

Anybody else noticed that HF's prices have gone up for the holidays? That press was 54.95, and the benchtop lathe went up to 229 from 219. I got my press with a 20% off coupon, but even at 60 bucks it's a good buy.

Curly

I've played with wood for better than 4 decades and have never heard of a J clamp. C clamps and F clamps for sure but not that letter. Any chance you have a picture or link to them?

randyrls

I've never made the Princeton kit, so take this with a grain of salt. When pressing thin components, don't press on the end. Make a "push block" this is a block with a hole in it so the threads are protected and the end of the block presses against the shoulder of the part, not the thin threaded(?) section. Pressing the thin section is sure to crumple it.

turncrazy43

Try the Pen-Ultimate Assembly tool from CSA. They mount on the lathe and the tail stock is used to press the parts together. Really inexpensive and will not mar any of the metal parts.

Had mine for several years and still working great. They are about $20 now got mine when the were $15. Give them a try.

Turncrazy43

Talltim

We do all of our assembly on our lathe. My son printed some MT2 plastic plugs. They work great and are gentle on the parts.

JPWO62 PM me your address and I will send you a set. You can count it an early Christmas for next year. Offer limited to the original poster. Sorry. The rest of you will have to adopt a teenage son with a 3D printer.

BTW that is an olive wood burl JR Gent going together in the photo.

Attachments

• IMG_5730.jpg
    IMG_5730.jpg
    143.4 KB · Views: 132
  • IMG_5731.jpg
    IMG_5731.jpg
    153.1 KB · Views: 118
  • IMG_5732.jpg
    IMG_5732.jpg
    186 KB · Views: 133
Last edited:

MPVic

We do all of our assembly on our lathe. My son printed some MT2 plastic plugs. They work great and are gentle on the parts.

JPWO62 PM me your address and I will send you a set. You can count it an early Christmas for next year. Offer limited to the original poster. Sorry. The rest of you will have to adopt a teenage son with a 3D printer.

Very nicely done - thanks for sharing!

ronaldcolby

Woodcraft has something similar.
https://www.woodcraft.com/products/lathe-pen-press-adapters-2-mt

That Harbor Freight Arbor press seems like a good idea (might need a few mods to protect the kits), i had the fancy pen press from Peach Tree, needless to say about 100 pens later it is in a scrap heap in the corner because the mechanism was not efficient.

MRDucks2

Bear in mind that I started all of this in May, but having tried 2 or 3 methods, the HF arbor press is what I settled on.

I do have 2 small strips of wood I use the protect the ends of the pen assembly. If you are doing a one piece that is long, you simply rotate to the widest die gap in the plate and press into the bench surface (you could just set the plate off, also).

With any clamping or screw method, I just had to watch the movement and hope nothing moved suddenly. With the arbor press, even though it is geared, it is a single rack and pinion so you "feel" the press and any movement directly core lates with movement on the pen assembly.

Sent from my iPhone using Penturners.org mobile app

dogcatcher

For those of us that do not have a 3D printer, you can use a 2MT arbor with threads. Add a plastic like HDPE or Delrin to the threads. You will need 2 of these. https://www.ebay.com/itm/SHARS-2MT-...113331?hash=item4604047b73:g:Bt0AAOSw9N1VtpFu

The good news is that you can use these arbors gor other things. I have made my own drivers for turning between centers with blanks of wood that I drilled and tapped to fit the threads, and turned to the shape of a TBC bushing. I have other attachments that hold buffing wheels. Simple to take one use off and put the other on.

Curly

You could also get a couple machinable arbors and put a couple layers of tape on the end to protect the pen parts.

Or turn some out of hardwood or plastic. The taper doesn't need to be perfect.

Or take a couple small squares or rounds of plywood/MDF, stick some two sided tape on a face and put them on the end of the headstock and tailstock.

There are many ways of pressing parts together using the lathe, drill press, arbor presses, vices, pen presses, and anything else handy in the shop. Just need to look around and try or buy.

crokett

I have the HF arbor press. I took the stock plate off and came up with my own plastic plate to protect the kits. I discovered my plate needs modification or I need a different design for the bolt-action kits. the press doesn't have enough clearance with the plate I have.

MRDucks2

I have the HF arbor press. I took the stock plate off and came up with my own plastic plate to protect the kits. I discovered my plate needs modification or I need a different design for the bolt-action kits. the press doesn't have enough clearance with the plate I have.

I have done some pretty long assemblies by going between the legs under the plate.

Sent from my iPhone using Penturners.org mobile app

JPW062

THe bessey is actually what i usually use. I was using it on something else though. It works, but I am not sure other options aren't better.

Top Bottom