Asian Redwood Burl

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

eskimo

I just received a number of blanks of Asian Redwood Burl. The wood looks great, but there are a number of voids that I might not be able to work around.

Are there any suggestions about how I might fill these voids without a pressure pot? The largest is about 1/8" across, but I'm not sure how deep.

Thanks, Bob

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

IPD_Mrs

One of my favorite things is to fill the voids with crushed stone such as malachite. Here is a pen with matalchite in it. This was not done because of a void but you should get the point.

200783201450_pen3.jpg
<br />

wdcav1952

Activities Manager Emeritus
Bob, another idea is to fill the void with black dust and CA. I use crushed anthracite because I found a piece of it when I moved into this house. Others use coffee grounds and CA.

PenPal

Bob,

I save my scraps of black Ebony and African Blackwood and grind them and keep them in a jar for filling voids,having said that I tend to remember I have years of blanks from top timbers that impress me more than the time,effort rquired to patch and fill.On the other hand I submit my practice to show there is more than one way.

Peter

rd_ab_penman

Hi Bob,

I save my sanding dust from most of the pens I turn. When I sand a pen I use the dust to fill any voids, cracks, etc. and put the remaining dust in the plastic bags that pen kits come in and tag the bag with the type of wood dust. Some times I will save some of the shavings as well.[:D]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom