Asian Redwood, anyone turn this wood?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

wayneis

Recently I turned a stabilized Asian Redwood blank that I bought from BB. I had the strangest thing happen, I've never had this happen before. After it has cured for a month all of a sudden I picked the pen up to look at it and it felt strange, really rough. On further review it had little tiny pin pricks all over both barrels. Its like something (sap?) rose up and out of the wood and penitrated right through the finish. I know its not the finish because I did this just like I do all of my pens so it has to be some sort of reaction from the wood itself. Anyone else turn this wood? Anyone else have an experence like this with any kind of wood? I'm bummed because it was so beautiful and it was the first Asian Redwood that I have turned.

Wayne

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

JimGo

See, that's why I stick with CA.

I'm just giving you a hard time Wayne! Sorry to hear about the finish; that's gotta be frustrating. I know how much effort you put into making sure your finishes look superb.

Dario

I know what you described (even saw it on some fresh/green mesquite) but can't help you about that particular wood.

If it is stabilized, I can't imagine this happening though.

wdcav1952

Activities Manager Emeritus
Wayne, I'm with Dario on this one, it really puzzles me for a stabilized blank to do this. Can you sand the finish off and use CA for the sanding sealer before using Enduro as the final finish?

knottyharry

Oh wow, what a bummer.
Have you talked to BB? Maybe he has had some others contact him about the same wood.
I'm with the others. Sounds to me like the stabilizing didn't take well for some reason.
Harry

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom