Artists Pencil

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Nate Davey

It has been sometime since I've turned a pen or pencil. One the guys at work, who's wife is a phenomenal artist, asked if I could make her a artists pencil for Christmas. It was nice to turn a pen again. I'm not a fan of this kit but that's what he wanted.

The wood???? but it has some great chatouyance, sanded to 12k MM, 10 coats thin CA, sanded to 12k MM and EEE.

Comments and criticisms welcomed.

Attachments

• Artist Pencil.jpg
    Artist Pencil.jpg
    34.5 KB · Views: 251
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ossaguy

That looks pretty neat! How is the lead put in,and is it real thick in diameter?

At the end you said you used EEE,and I was wondering about that,since I thought I read here that EEE is too gritty to use as a polish on CA? I've never tried it that way.

My sister is an artist,so I'd like to make her one.

Nice Job,I hope I can make one that nice!

Steve

Chthulhu

It looks like one of the 5.4-5.6 mm clutch pencils, marketed as "shop pencils" as often as "artists' pencils." Definitely a pretty piece of wood, but I'm wondering what the blond-colored piece is under it ...

Nate Davey

The lead is held in by 4 jaws, it's pretty thick too. I've had good luck with EEE as a final...except for this one.

The blank the pen rest on is Osage Orange.

Nate Davey

Ossaguy

The kit is from Woodcraft #146767. As far as kits go, they don't get much easier than this. Only have to press in one part and on tube.

Nava1uni,

Where do you get the various colors and types of lead from?

Chthulhu

Top Bottom