Artisan Rollerball - CSUSA

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Splinter

What are your thoughts/experiences with the Artisan Rollerball & Fountain Pen kits from CSUSA?

I made my first one of the rollerballs today. I really don't like the plastic nib cap that goes into the upper barrel that hold the upper barrel onto the lower barrel. The instructions state to use a #1 phillips screwdriver to insert/turn the nib cap onto the threaded screw of the barrel. A #1 phillips screwdriver was too small to get a grip on it so I used a #2 and that worked to a degree but wouldn't turn it far enough to make barrels fit together properly. Finally I used a 3/16" flat blade screwdriver to turn it. The barrels still seem to turn to easily compared to other pens I have made.

I realize these are not top of the line pen/fountain pen kits but is seems like a poor design to me. Or am I missing something?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mrcook4570

The white plastic part that holds the cap on will ultimately fail. For seating that part, there is a tool designed specifically for that job and it makes life much easier if you continue to make this pen. It is called a nib cap adjuster tool.

redfishsc

You can also use a Torx screwdriver (the star-shaped screwdriver) and they work well.

I do not have good success with the snap caps. Now, I LOVE using them. I LOVE the feel and ease of the snap, and sometimes they last a long time.

From what I can tell on the handful I've made, and what I've heard on this site, I just don't consider it a reliable enough pen to make and sell for what I charge for a pen.

kent4Him

I have also stopped making them. The snap was just too unreliable. I do have a nib adjuster, and that helped quite a bit, but not enough to keep making them. If someone wants my nib adjuster, they can get it dirt cheap.

Splinter

Thanks for the replies. I feel better...I guess... knowing my problem with the kit were not unique. I have a few of the kits available fairly cheap if anyone wants them.

Texatdurango

I guess I'm in the minority... as usual, but I have made several of the fountain pen kits and like them.

My thinking when I ordered several dozen kits last year was that this would be a cheap pen for someone to get into trying fountain pens with.

I sold two or three for around $30, gave one to my nephew who uses it all the time in school and have one in my desktop pen rack and use it when I want red ink.

With the 25% discount, the fountain pen kit at $5.40 is little more than the price of the nib used in the kit so I have no complaints! At the very least, I have a good supply of fountain nibs!

Top Bottom