ARRRGH Pen Cap loosens

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

leehljp

Member Liaison
I just noticed two of my shirts with ink stain in the pocket. Couldn't figure out why until I realized that several times in the 6 weeks or so - I found that my baron came loose (unscrewed) from the cap and was in the bottom of my shirt pocket. The Rollerball really leaks ink, not as bad as a fountain pen, but much more than an ordinarly ballpoint pen.

Did a search and found that this is a known issue:
http://www.penturners.org/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=18806&SearchTerms=Loose,Caps

Tightening it snuggly does't work. The cap has come unscrewed several times while in my pocket. I now have to give it an extra bit of twist to make sure it doesn't happen when in the shirt pocket- tightened to the point that my wife has difficulty undoing it. I like the Baron, but I have to watch it now.

Any of you have this complaint from customers?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

JimGo

What James said. Send Clewless an E-mail...he was selling the O-rings for cheap. Not sure what shipping would be to Japan, but if you buy enough of them, or if you have relatives here who regularly (or irregularly) send you care packages and can add the O-rings to the next package...

clewless

I was told that this is "impossible",[:)] but those of us who don't like inky pockets use the o rings as a little extra "protection". [:D][:D]kinda like belt and suspenders...

PM sent.

Others check out the thread at http://www.penturners.org/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=16952

brokenbit

Here what I do.
Whem I press the coupler in the lower barrel I leave the nib coupler a litte proud say 1/32 the ring will be loose, but I use a litte CA on a tooth pick.
What happing is it is running out of threds

Bernie

CaptG

Where does the o ring go? Do you have to put in an o ring groove when making the pen?

Never mind, I researched back and found the article with pictures. Got it figured out now.

Mikey

Originally posted by clewless
<br />I was told that this is "impossible",[:)]

LOL. I've had them come loose when in my pants pocket, but recently had one come loose when in my coat pocket, clipped in just like it it was made to be.

Maybe I just imagined it.[?]

Rifleman1776

Interesting. Never had that problem and never understood the need for 'O' rings. But, I gave up Baron's and am now going with Jr. Gent's. So, for me, it's a non-issue. Which brings up the question: If it's a non-issue for me, why did I write this response? [:p]

mick

Originally posted by Rifleman1776
<br />Interesting. Never had that problem and never understood the need for 'O' rings. But, I gave up Baron's and am now going with Jr. Gent's. So, for me, it's a non-issue. Which brings up the question: If it's a non-issue for me, why did I write this response? [:p]

Becasue this wan't the place for a drill bit size rant? [:D][:D]

leehljp

Member Liaison
Thanks for the suggestions. I found some O-Rings at an automotive place this morning. The Pen and cap are not "loose" in that they can be wiggled. The feel is like a perfect match between the two - with tight enough fit, but just very little friction when screwing on and off. It is almost as if teflon were on the threads, so it comes loose easily. I cannot criticize it as a loose fit, just that it would not stay unless unduly tightened, or . . . now, the O-Ring. [:D]

Mikey

Key word being "Reported". How many customers would actually come back and start complaining that their cap came off if they were able to just screw it back on? My guess would be that unless it happens on a daily basis, or unless the threads are damaged, nobody is complaining. Most people would probably think they forgot to tighten the cap or that they forgot to screw it all the way on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom