Arrrggh!!!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

crokett

Well add one more thing to the list of stuff to check for before assembling a pen. And why does it always have to happen with slim lines? Last night I was assembling a slimline. I put the nib in the barrel, checked the transmission works (learned this the hard way) then pressed the transmission in. Put the cartridge in, it would not go. I took the cartridge out, and looked down the barrel, could not see daylight at the nib. I poked the tip of the cartridge into the end of the nib, It knocked something loose that is now stuck inside the tube - I can shake the barrel and hear it rattle. :mad:

So, check the nib before you put it in the barrel. There may be something stuck in it.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

randyrls

David; That is a bummer, but it is fairly easy to remove the nib from a slimline.

Get a transfer punch set from Harbor Freight or Woodcraft. This is a set of rods about 6" long in diameters from 1/16" to 1/2". Put the 1/8" size thru the transmission into the nib. Grip the barrel in your hand. Tap gently on the punch with a small hammer until the nib comes free. Many gentle taps are better than one mighty blow.

Dan Masshardt

David; That is a bummer, but it is fairly easy to remove the nib from a slimline. Get a transfer punch set from Harbor Freight or Woodcraft. This is a set of rods about 6" long in diameters from 1/16" to 1/2". Put the 1/8" size thru the transmission into the nib. Grip the barrel in your hand. Tap gently on the punch with a small hammer until the nib comes free. Many gentle taps are better than one mighty blow.
than deft pence is a necessary purchase. Holding in your hand doesn't always work though. I have one old slim that I gave up on saving.

crokett

Yeah, I am going to get the transfer punch set tomorrow. The only other one I've had to take apart was a bad transmission. I did that by drilling out some of the transmission and using a drill bit to get the nib out. I wonder why these problems never happen on pens like the Mesa, where it is easy to take them apart....

crokett

the punch set worked wonders. it is a little short to punch the nib out with the transmission in, so I pressed the transmission in further, then punched the nib out, then punched the transmission out and reassembled the pen. I now have a red/white slimline with a cross clip. I hope the symbolism speaks for itself.

I have a pen with cherry tubes that was one of my first. Now I can take it apart and re-do it. I am not happy with the shape or the finish.

Top Bottom