Arrows

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

Chuck C

I just picked up about 30 arrows in a garage sale. They appear to be aluminum. And some of the OD's are.346 and some are .337 with the average ID being about .120, can these be used for penturning projects?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jwoodwright

Chuck, done right, they would be a big hit with the Archery Crowd. I see Desk Pen sets.
Hate to have one in my pocket and fall over, death by arrow pen...[:D]

Seriously, A BIC Type Refill in a Wooden Shaft, Arrow Head on End. Have to sand sharp edges down. Use Accrylic Paint and paint rings on while on the mandrell... Finish shaft and make a Base shaped like a target 10 ring. Pen fits in bulls eye...[8D]

Rifleman1776

If any of those arrows have target or 'field' tips, save them. They make great points for tops. Hardened and long lasting.
Frank

Originally posted by Chuck C
<br />I just picked up about 30 arrows in a garage sale. They appear to be aluminum. And some of the OD's are.346 and some are .337 with the average ID being about .120, can these be used for penturning projects?

its_virgil

Chuck,
Do they have a number on them, up towards the fletching? Take a look in my photo album on page 4. I think you may find an snswer to your question. There may be others also.
Do a good turn daily!
Don
Originally posted by Chuck C
<br />I just picked up about 30 arrows in a garage sale. They appear to be aluminum. And some of the OD's are.346 and some are .337 with the average ID being about .120, can these be used for penturning projects?

woodpens

Here are a couple examples of pen using arrow shafts. Both were made by Richard Kleinhenz.

http://tinyurl.com/49gk8
http://tinyurl.com/52y4d

jjudge

yes ... me, too.

I saw Richard Kleinhenz's arrow pens -- and had to pursue making some as part of the Freedom pens I'm making.

So, I posted on a local barter newsgroup (Froogle showed $45/dozen for them!). A local guy sent me a dozen in a tube, on the promise I spot him back some pens, once done.

I've made 2 so far, and more today/now. I do this:

My simple slimline method:
- cut arrows to length of pen blanks/tubes
- measure inside of arrows: a wee bit larger than 7mm.
- Turn some pen blanks down REALLY thin (use cheap maple) and keep measuring with calipers to get it to the right thickness
- slide arrow shaft over the pen / glue in place

Important things I've learned:
- bevel transition between nib + arrow shaft, and at clip end,
BEFORE you slide it over the pen, using my grinder and twisting the arrow shaft (doh!)
- make a nice rounded cocobolo bead for the middle band,
provides nice transition between the 2 shafts
- Use chrome, black, or the gunmetal (titanium looking) kits for the camo arrows

Yes, its looks funky end-on: rings of brass tube, veneer of maple, aluminum shaft.
But then -- who sees that :)

-- joe

will post picts soon, digital camera loaned out right now

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
Thanks for the info Jim, Don and the lurking Richard. Can someone explain the "tinyurl" thing that I see in some of these posts?

woodpens

Originally posted by DCBluesman
<br />Thanks for the info Jim, Don and the lurking Richard. Can someone explain the "tinyurl" thing that I see in some of these posts?
Tinyurl is a great tool to reduce the length of long web addresses that tend to get broken by line wraps in many discussion groups. I added it to my browser toolbar a long time ago. To use it, I get my browser to the desired page, then click the link on my toolbar. It calculates the link and automatically copies it onto your clipboard. All you have to do is paste it into your message. It's very simple.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom