Arrgh - expensive mistake. Help!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

carlmorrell

Opinions or sympathies sought. This is an expensive kit, with a very rare flower casting. Apparently, as I was pressing the coupler in a shred of plastic sheared off and tried to lodge itself at the end of the tube. The result is a cracked tube.

I have two problems here. First is I have never been successful at removing the coupler. The second is seeking opinions on how to repair this. :frown:

Attachments

• flower cracked.jpg
    flower cracked.jpg
    90.6 KB · Views: 490
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Dale Allen

I cannot say about repairing the crack afterward but getting the hardware apart is not a big deal. I have done many and find that turning down pieces of plastic that fit tight in the tube works better because it is less likely to damage the hardware. If the cap is on the other end than a plastic stick that just fits inside the threads will help knock out the cap and clip. Then a tight fitting one that hugs the inside if the tube to knock out the coupler. I hold the blank with a piece of the rubbery shelf liner and smack it with a wooden mallet.

crabcreekind

After you finish the blank take a box knife and clean out the burrs on the end of the tubes. I found this helps alot and things have never cracked on me since.

JD Combs Sr

Even though the blank is being replaced thanks to Roy, I don't think I would discard the broken one. If you get it apart without too much more damage turn the broken section off the tube and install some sort of complimentary accent ring in the turned area then reuse it on a carry pen.

JD Combs Sr

After you finish the blank take a box knife and clean out the burrs on the end of the tubes. I found this helps a lot and things have never cracked on me since.
+1 on cleaning out the ends of the tubes before assembly. I have a screw driver like handle with a 60* counter sink installed in it. After squaring up my tube/blank I turn the counter sink a couple turns in each end of the tube. I have made around 220 pens and have never had one break the blank during assembly.

theidlemind

Opinions or sympathies sought. This is an expensive kit, with a very rare flower casting. Apparently, as I was pressing the coupler in a shred of plastic sheared off and tried to lodge itself at the end of the tube. The result is a cracked tube.

I have two problems here. First is I have never been successful at removing the coupler. The second is seeking opinions on how to repair this. :frown:

If you can get it apart without a lot more damage I'd like to try to repair it.
Let me know if you are interested.

Ed McDonnell

I suspect the problem wasn't a failure to clean the ends of the tubes. On pens with the plastic thread insert in the cap, the brass will sometimes shave off plastic as you press in the coupler assembly. If you don't stop to remove these plastic shavings before you press the metal part of the coupler assembly home you can end up posting a question with a heartbreaking backstory (like Carl did).

Ed

Dale Allen

If you chamfer the tube ends as has been recommended here, there is little chance that the edge of the brass will cut into the plastic.

Crickett

Hi Carl,

Rather than Roy sending you the replacement blank, I'll send it to you, cap end, right? It was nice of the Theidlemind to offer fixing the blank but my experience is that they cannot be repaired, a crack will always show. Email me a picture of the pen and cap so I can have an idea of what I made. Also include your mailing address. fineturnings@gmail.com

carlmorrell

I appreciate everyone everyone's advice. I have made 1000 pens, and this is the first time anything has happened like this. I am not a fan of the kits that have a huge plastic insert in the cap (jr statesman II).

stonepecker

$6.00 investment?

I have seen them as low as a $1.99..........just to be fair, I have also seen them at $14.99.

Remember, you get what you pay for.

I am going to keep that idea of turning down, and installing a ring for an accent. That sounds like an interesting chance at a design change. If for no other reason then to have something different for myself or a friend. Thanks for the idea.

Last edited:

George417

After you finish the blank take a box knife and clean out the burrs on the end of the tubes. I found this helps a lot and things have never cracked on me since.
+1 on cleaning out the ends of the tubes before assembly. I have a screw driver like handle with a 60* counter sink installed in it. After squaring up my tube/blank I turn the counter sink a couple turns in each end of the tube. I have made around 220 pens and have never had one break the blank during assembly.

+2 on de-burring the tubes.

Top Bottom