Arg! I broke my lathe...

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

hornet406

Talk about upsetting! :mad: I was in the process of turning a pen today and noticed that a screw was coming loose on the switch plate of my Rikon 70-100 VS.:eek: Its the screw that retains the ground wires. I pulled the plate of and tightened the screw, but apparently moved the connector every so slightly from where it was originally. I secured the face plate, turned on the power to see fireworks. Ground wire came into contact with the circuit card and fried it, the on board fuse and popped the GFI. Makes no sense why those wires are so short and contacts so close together. That is a fairly large box.

:biggrin:Good news - I contacted the wonderful people at Rikon tech support and explained what happened. They are sending me a brand new card for free.

:frown:Bad news - i think its coming snail mail.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Haynie

Good for them. It is pretty hard to send a new circuit board in an E-mail attachment.:laugh:

I have seen lots of things like this. Ground way to close to the other stuff when there is lots of room. In our shop, when we saw a situation like this and there was room we would lengthen the ground and move it.

Last edited:

shull

Ahh it is good to hear of a company that still believes in CUSTOMER SERVICE. Will keep that in mind next time I have to make a decision between Rikon and the competition.

flyitfast

Another +1 for Rikon.
Their Customer Service is definitely on top.
Bought a Rikon Bandsaw. When I got it, the table was gouged and had several sharp edges in in miter slot.
Called them and within four days I had a 40+ pound package with a new table. They didn't even want the old one.
Glad you had a good experience - sorry they couldn't e-mail your new circuit card! :biggrin:
gordon

nava1uni

I have found Rikon to have great customer service. I have the same lathe and I accidentally left the hold down in a few times and stripped it out. I called them and explained what I had done. They sent me a new one for no charge. I have other tools and when I have had questions they have always been very helpful. I would give them a +10 for customer service.

hornet406

Awesome customer service! Well done Rikon. Parts arrived today and my lathe is up and running.

Ambidex

card

I have had nothing but good experiences with Rikon...as for snail mail..as a letter carrier, there are some of us that still care about customer service and try our best. But then I'm old school and have been carrying for 30 years. Hope it arrives timely and safely:wink:

Top Bottom