Arcylic & Churchll questions

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

Firefyter-emt

Guys, I kinda got pressed into selling a kit & blank I already have on order. I picked up a SS Churchill FP and a mint green acrylic blank from Beartoothwoods. I have not done either before. I plan to make Corian bushings as I do not have a B mandral. I have also not turned the acrylic before. I didn't mind before, as it was to be my pen, but now it's sold. Any tips or hints? Do I need to paint the tubes for this blank? I have turned Corian, but not these plastics and don't want to mess it up. It looks like the kit itself is pretty straight forward and the bushings will not be a problem, I turn with caliper measurements anyway.

Here is the blank.
PB_AA33.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

twoofakind

I would color the tubes. If you want a darker pen use a Sharpie and a lighter pen use nail polish or a silver sharpie. The blank looks dark, but when you get close to the tubes it will show brass reflections or just show the tube. Better safe than sorry.
Andy

mick

Lee,
It's been my experience that the cap of the churchill will be much thinner than the pen body and will show a color difference because of that.
It's always best to paint your tubes....or in the case of a very translucent material, the inside of the blanks. If thats the green I'm thinking of you'll need to paint or you'll end up with a brassy cast on the cap.
One thing I've gotten in a habit of doing is to hold the blank up to a very bright light after drilling and try to judge if it's in need of painting....as you do this more and more you'll get a "feel" for it.....Good Luck!

gerryr

I recommend painting the blank after drilling. There is no way to glue the tubes in without introducing air bubbles into the glue, whatever it is. Painting the blank eliminates the possibility of the air bubbles showing. I did a pen in Chocolate Mint and found some mint green fingernail polish that worked really well and dried pretty fast.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
CA will "smear" many paints, I suggest epoxy. You may also want to drill the holes a shade oversize to accomodate the paint.

Chuck Key

Although bushings do not seem to be an issue you still could pick up a set at Woodcraft that will fit the A mandrel. Could save a bit of time turning bushings during this busy turning season.

Chuckie

broitblat

I've worked with the material before, and I would definitely suggest painting the tube or the inside of the blank. It is opaque enough that painting the tube should be OK, unless you use a dark colored glue.

If you've turned Corian, I think you'll find this turns a little easier although it has even more of a tendency to come off in long strands that wrap around the mandrel and fine dust that sticks to everything.

alamocdc

1) Yes, scuff the tubes. 2) Paint the inside of the blank. 3) Sharp tools, small bites. 4) Rounding the corners of the blank will help, but isn't necessary. 5) High speed. 6) Did I mention sharp tools and light cuts? Personally, I love turning the stuff and have never had any trouble w/it.

Firefyter-emt

Chuckie, thanks for that heads up on the bushings. That was one reason I had notdone these kits before and then it just struck me to just make one that would fit my mandrel.

Some of you mention to paint the inside of the blanks them self. What do you use for paint to get inside the blanks? How about a "good choice" color to keep the cap and body looking close to the same? Should I try to buy nail polish that matches the blank?

LanceD

Some of you mention to paint the inside of the blanks them self. What do you use for paint to get inside the blanks? How about a "good choice" color to keep the cap and body looking close to the same? Should I try to buy nail polish that matches the blank?

I like to use a Flat white spray paint to paint the blank. I find it gives your blank a brighter look and keeps it more the original color. Just spray some on a piece of paper or cardboard and use a Qtip to spread it around the hole. Let it dry and repeat until it's uniform. I normally use about three coats.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom