Arbor press?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jwoodwright

I have both. The new press is nice once you set it up. (see the press in my album) I'm lazy and I have a DP set-up for drilling, a DP set-up for barrel trimming. Bench top DP's...[:D]

WoodChucker

lol, nothing wrong with that, I've been known to take a few short cuts. [:D]

If you don't mind me asking, how much did your arbor press run and where did you get it? Thanks!

R.T.

wayneis

Convenence would be one of mine reasons. I have a small table set up where I do all my assembling of pens. Its right outside of my shop door and its nice and clean and gives me a chance to sit and do something. My second like the others is that my drill press is set up for drilling blanks. Other than that, nope not really. Just a matter pf preference.

Wayne

Don in Tally

I have the grizzly arbor press that was talked about here recently and really like it. The one you are looking at is only 4 and a half inches travel, I think that is too small of travel, I have also used mine to disasemble a pen also. Drilled a hole in a piece of oak the size of the pen point then used a torx screwdriver as a punch to push out the point and the clip. worked slick.

Fred in NC

Grizzy ran out of the closeout press a few weeks ago. I think most were sold to penturners. They called it a 'punch press.'

I was using a press made from a 'drill stand.' This is a gizmo where you put a hand drill for a makeshift drill press. I bought it at a yard sale.

Harbor Freight carries arbor presses in different sizes. Look at their web site.

WoodChucker

Your right about the 4.5" travel, but I see they have another one for 10 dollars more that has a 5.5" travel, is that still to small? Thanks!

R.T.

Fred in NC

A 'toggle clamp' can be used to make a pen press. Straight Line Toggle Clamps 300 lb. Capacity $12.99 Woodcraft Product Number: 143936. This type of clamp is the basis for the pen presss Woodcraft and other companies sell.

jkirkb94

When Fred mentioned clamp, I was thinking that a large C clamp would work as a cheap press! Harbor Freight has some cheap large clamps. http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=4253 I personally have a drill press I got on sale for $25. Pen presses can cost $35. Mine presses as well as drills [:I]
Kirk [8D]

Scott

I do all my pen assembly with a Bessy K-body clamp. If Norm uses them, they can't be all bad! Besides, I have to find some use for my woodworking tools now that I have forsaken them for the lathe! ;-)

I did buy an arbor press this past Spring, but I haven't used it yet. I got it at Harbor Freight for under $30. I'll have to get it set up and try it out.

Scott.

jwoodwright

R.T. it was $39.00 at Grizzly. I used it for several years before getting the newer press. The Arbor press is smoother and you can feel how much force you're applying. New one is posted in my album.

WoodChucker

Ok thanks, that's the same price as HF but it looks like yours is a little nicer and has more travel. I checked the Grizzly site, I don't think they carry them anymore, at least I couldn't find them if they do. But I guess for what it is, the HF one will be fine. Thanks again for your help!

R.T.

Scott

One suggestion on buying an arbor press (or anything) from a Harbor Freight store - when you go to the check-out, indicate that you thought you had seen it in one of their ads for less, and ask if they would give you the best price that is in their computer. Most don't mind doing this, and you can often get great prices on things. Their computer tracks the prices on items, sales and all, for the past year. I don't think this would work on a mailorder.

Scott.

jwoodwright

R.T. The Press shown in my album appears to be sold out.[:(] Here is the Arbor Press I bought first: (I cut/pasted)...[8D]

Grizzly.Com
G4018 Arbor Press - 1 Ton

This handsomely-cast arbor press takes the effort out of stamping, seating and removing bearings and other operations that require simple, well-controlled mechanical pressure. Easy-to-use bench mount design.
Specifications:

Cap.: 1 ton
Throat: 3-3/4"
Work height: 5"
Weight: 38 lbs.

See page 498 of our 2004 Catalog!

Quantity Model No. Price Your Price **
G4018 $39.95 $39.95

** Final prices will include applicable taxes and shipping charges.
(for items not shipped via truck freight.)
You will be contacted regarding freight costs outside of the lower 48 states.

Please contact csr@grizzly.com
with questions about any of the products or the ordering process.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

©1998 - 2004 Grizzly.com

Travlr7

I was Lucky. I read a thread at Sawmill Creek about the Grizzly arbor press. At the time, I had the HF 1/2 ton press on backorder. I think I backordered it six-eight weeks ago. When they couldn't tell me when it would come in, I ordered the one from Grizzly.

Since it came in packed in "Peanuts" instead of normal shipping packaging, I believe I got the last one they had.

I turned down a piece of 1-1/4" hardwood dowel to fit into the hole in the bottom plate of the press, then drilled a hole to allow the pen tip to recess in it. Turned another piece for the top. Voualla (I guessed at the sp) I have a pen press that is functional and very helpful. It is solid enough that I don't have any problem with alignment when putting pens together.

With freight, it only cost me $20.00 vs $16.12 - tax incl for the HF unit. I think it is worth the difference.

BTW, I've used it on 50 pens so far. The HF backorder sheet finally came to me today........... I threw it in the trash.

Bruce[;)]

20041026225029_Pen%20Press.jpg
<br />

Fred in NC

Bruce: I got my Grizzly press back in August. It is a great piece of equipment. I use UHMW for the fittings in mine, and I also have the small hole for the pen tips.

WoodChucker

Bruce, that looks like a nice machine for sure. I think you did good by getting the Grizzly over the HF one, but it looks like I'll have to get the HF press because I can't find the one like yours.

Those things don't have any kind of preset features on them do they? It doesn't look like it but I thought I'd ask.

R.T.

daledut

I bought the 1/2 ton arbor press from HF about a year ago for $14.00 and I love it.

The opening is not enough to do a Euro style pen with the bottom plate in. However, I bolted my press to a formica covered board and press to the board with the plate removed. Works like a champ and gives me far better control than other methods I have tried.

daledut

Everyone who has the 1 ton says it is enough travel. I got the 1/2 ton because it was 1/2 the price and I am cheap when it comes to tools with limited moving parts. I prefer to save my money for good power tools.

1/2 ton is more than enough pressure.

I went to a Freedom pen turn-a-thon a few months ago and took the press with me. most of the turners were lining up to use my press. I was asked so many times where I got it I felt like a Harbor Freight rep. [:)]

Daniel

I got the 1/2 ton for the same reason Dale did, It works just fine when bolted to something solid and the plate removed. the only inconvenience is taking the plate on and off. But this is so simple evemn i don't mind and I'm the type that wants to buy anouther drill press rather than have to change bits.

Travlr7

Evenin' R.T.

To answer your question, There are two adjusting screws to limit the up travel. All I did was make sure they were aligned and adjusted the handle so that I have the full travel which can be as much as 2-3/4". The gap can be adjusted to as much as 7" with the spacers I'm using.

I haven't had to remove anything to make it work or bolt it down. I'll be taking it to Woodcrafts TAT on November 11.

BTW, mine is a 1/2 ton version, if I didn't say before.

Bruce [;)]

WoodChucker

Bruce, thanks for that explanation, it cleared it up for me. Other then pictures I've never seen an arbor press so I wasn't sure how it operated. Thanks again!

R.T.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom