Arbor Lock and Indexing

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

TomG

I have been reading a lot about different mini lathes and it seems that they way to go is with one that has an index and arbor loacking fetaure. I have no idea what these features are for, can someone explain?

And while on the subject how great is it to have a VS lathe? I will not be in a hurry to make pens nor will I go into production so why spend the extra 100$ when I still need to get other tools such as a drill press vise. I know it is a matter of personal preference just wondering your thoughts.

Tom

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
In my opinion, having a variable speed lathe is Great! I compare it to having a Digital Video Recorder (like TIVO) .. Once you "can" pause live-tv, or rewind live-tv ... you will find it difficult to go back to "not being able to" ... same thing ... my first lathe was a Delta Midi with pulleys .. if you desire a speed change, you stop everything, loosen motor, hop the belt to another pulley, start everything again ... now, I just dial-in whatever speed I want (down to 100 rpm) (up to 5200 rpm) (Shopsmith)

JimGo

Indexing - allows you to rotate the headstock in n-degree increments, thereby adding consistently spaced embellishments.

Arbor Lock - easily allows you to remove chucks and other items screwed onto your headstock.

Variable speed - not a necessity, but certainly a nice to have. If you're going to turn anything larger, the ability to control the speed at which the item begins to rotate (or, more correctly, the force) is beneficial. It is also nice to be able to speed up the lathe while turning, but to easily slow it down while sanding and applying some of the finishes. I used to have a non-VS, and changing the belts was too much of a pain to make it worthwhile. I now have a VS, and regularly adjust the speed based on my whim.

Scott

Hi Tom,

One of the reasons I endorse variable speed lathes is because I find that when turning I don't really have any idea how fast the spindle is turning. What I do know is by the look, feel and sound of things, whether the thing is turning too fast, too slow, or just right. With a variable speed lathe you can tweak that on the spot. With the regular lathe if you choose the wrong speed, you have to stop it again and try another speed. For sure, it is convenience rather than necessity, but it is a big convenience!

Indexing I find to be of no use. It is primarily for adding embellishments after an item has been turned. You may want to do that, and if so, get it! The spindle lock (arbor lock) is very handy for spinning things on and off the spindle, but if it means a couple of hundred more, it may not be worth it. Of course, who am I to speak, I use a Oneway 1224 lathe, which has all of these things in spades! [:D]

There are some places where you can save some money. I have lots of turning tools - skews, gouges, scrapers and parting tools, not to mention some specialty items such as a bedan - and I can tell you that until you find yourself with a special need, the High Speed Steel set of turning tools from Harbor Freight are just fine! And that special need I mentioned? You won't even recognize it until you have turned for a while, and then you can buy just the right tool!

Good Luck!

Scott.

JimGo

Chuckie, will you quit rubbing it in! [:D]

That's an excellent example of what can be accomplished with an indexing plate. Ed Davidson (YoYoSpin) has some examples in his photo gallery too; just look for the ones with the contrasting "dots".

Rudy Vey

Originally posted by TomG
<br />I have been reading a lot about different mini lathes and it seems that they way to go is with one that has an index and arbor loacking fetaure. I have no idea what these features are for, can someone explain?

And while on the subject how great is it to have a VS lathe? I will not be in a hurry to make pens nor will I go into production so why spend the extra 100$ when I still need to get other tools such as a drill press vise. I know it is a matter of personal preference just wondering your thoughts.

Tom

Haven't used my indexing in two years I have my lathe, but use the VS a lot. Like you turn and sand fast, slow down to apply CA/Enduro or else and sand fast in between coats. Now imagine doing this with a single speed lathe where you have to switch the belt continuously between the fast and slow speed pulleys. If you ever have to decide between a VS and non-VS lathe, I would pay quite a bit of money for the VS.
The possibility of a spindle lock is great to have for changing chucks etc. I am in full agreement with Scott, our lathe is great!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom