AR 15 .223 cartridge pen kit

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Atwerz

Does any pen kit seller make a kit for an AR 15 .223 bullet? Many, many vets and turners would love to buy the kit. The pens would be a great seller.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

dogcatcher

The shell casing is too short to look good, this is the way I make mine. This was made off a Slimline kit as an experiment to test the idea. The top and bottom wood blank was cut to length and tubes glued in. The shell casing was resized using reloading gear the bullet was inserted, then cut in half. The bullet was drilled for use as the nib. The blanks were turned to size and the ends cut smaller to insert and epoxy inside of the brass.

Woodchipper

Are you saying the case was fully resized? That is a nice pen. I have access to a gun range with tons of empties on the ground. Rinse them off and put them in the polisher.

dogcatcher

Basically I went through the steps to reload the brass without powder or primer. I then cut the brass in half, and I added epoxy to hold keep the bullet in place. Then I drilled out the bullet so it functioned as the nib. All was done using a collet chuck. I tried drilling the the bullet both ways, before insertion and after it was epoxied in place. Both methods are not perfect, there will be rejects from them getting marred or just being stubborn.

The primer end also has to be drilled so the tube will extend up so the finial can be pressed in with the clip. I made custom sized hardwood collets that fit in a 3/4" collet to hold the primer end. Actually I believe I drilled the primer end out before cutting in half, some will get screwed up.

RangeRat

An AR 10 casing (7.62/.308) is nearly perfect in size for a slimline. I copied this style from a pen I saw and love it.

Attachments

• EA2E1E9B-0D69-4DD3-AAD6-44CF9CB0C872.jpg
    EA2E1E9B-0D69-4DD3-AAD6-44CF9CB0C872.jpg
    149.9 KB · Views: 237

gr8macbeth

I just wanted to make a safety call out. Make sure you are wearing a mask if you drill out a fmj bullet. I like using Barnes Vor TX copper bullets when I add a bullet to a pen. They are completely made of copper and the polymer tip is just about the right size to give you a really clean and finished tip when it is removed to drill through the center. Just my 2 cents. :)

rd_ab_penman

I make my .223 and 22-250 rifle cartridge twist action's using 2 casings and an actual bullet nib.
Using casings for the top section keeps it in proportion to the barrel section.

Les

Attachments

• .223 I (Custom).jpg
    .223 I (Custom).jpg
    92.5 KB · Views: 197
  • DSC05424 (Custom).jpeg
    DSC05424 (Custom).jpeg
    122.7 KB · Views: 189
Last edited:

jack rich

ar15 casing

the ar15 casing is made out of steel hard to drill and when polished it looses it protective coating. I have made a few but getting them drilled is hard being made of steel i have trouble holding them steady enough to drill without messing up their coating. if someone knows how please let me know

jack rich

correction ar15

i was thinking about the ak47 when i said the casing was made of steel. my nephew who was a green beret sniper said he shot a 308 this may help you with your vet customers . sorry about the mistake

Top Bottom